• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neil Gaiman: American Gods

kittybrat

About 4 years ago I read "Neverwhere", and about 2-3 years ago I read "Stardust", so I've discovered that I'm really taking a liking to Neil Gaiman's work. I just spent the last week reading "American Gods", and plan to head over to "Anansi Boys" this weekend.

American Gods...
I was a little disappointed with the end, but only because, in my mind, I didn't want it to end up the way it did. However, it was well written and made a load of sense, so it was a very good, solid ending. When Shadow confronted the gods and stopped the war, I kept feeling like it was too easy. But then again, the huge build up leading to that point was intense enough, so perhaps it HAD to seem too easy.

The character Sam was pretty awesome in the small parts she existed. Her character was exactly how a young, hip college student would act, should she be a person who isn't afraid of much. The way she handled Town on the phone, and the way she spoke to Audrey made me actually laugh as I read it.

My favourite point in the whole book, even though it ended up turning sour later on, was when Wednesday had Shadow stay in Lakeside. The way he described the town and people made me want to live there myself.

Does anyone else really like Neil Gaiman? What do y'all think of this book?

There are quite a few Gaiman-fans here, myself included and previous posts on his books as well if you dig through the archives.

I liked American Gods well enough, but it's not my favourite Gaiman. I think the problem with telling alot of different stories within a book is that it's very easy to loose focus on the main story. I also found Shadow to be an actual shadow. He was not a very decisive hero, he merely went where people told him and although that is in line with his character I found it a bit difficult to identify with. I'm thinking of re-reading it sometime, cause it's so full of hints and links and thoughts and ideas that it's easy to miss something the first time around. But first I'll read Anansi Boys. Did you read it yet?

I haven't read "Anansi Boys" yet. I can't pick it up until this weekend, at the very least, so I can't get into it yet. I was going to get something else instead, until a friend suggested reading that one after "American Gods" (and now I see why).

Anyway... I agree with you on how Shadow was actually a shadow, but I think that was the point of it. I think that's also why Laura had told him that he wasn't dead, though still wasn't alive, and why after hanging on the tree, dying and being brought back, he seemed like a different person, while still the same. And I think that's a big reason why he didn't go back to America when Odin asked him to at the end of the book: he was no longer feeling that he had to serve, or shadow, someone else. If he wasn't a shadow throughout the book, I don't think it would have made sense. Then again, I think I can actually relate to him, so there's a difference there - you said you found it difficult to identify [whereas I don't].

I think some time in the future I'd like to reread it, too, because I agree! Lots of little hints and things that you don't catch the first time. After I go through everything he has currently, I'm probably going to read "Neverwhere" again, too.

I haven't had time to dig throug the archives yet, but once I get the 'net up and running at home, I'll probably take a good look through it, especially to find more ideas of books to read.

My husband is a huge Neil Gaiman fan and he has every book by him. He especially liked American Gods. Mr. Spikey (that's what I call my husband on forums) insists I would like Neil Gaiman books and that I should give them a try. But I resisted so far, most likely he's right and I really hate it when he's right. It's bad enough that his Mensa brain pretty much out think most complex problems than me, I don't want to get his head any bigger than it already is.

You should try some Gaiman! If you want to start out easy you can read some of the shortstories in Smoke and Mirrors (I recommend Chivalry, it's hilarious) or Gaiman's YA book Coraline which is deliciously spooky. These should give you a good idea what to expect from Gaiman. For novels, Stardust or Neverwhere are easier places to start than American Gods, I think. American Gods is good, but it demands alot from it's reader.

Agreed. I've only read three books, but I can say that the order I'd have someone go in is Stardust, Neverwhere, AG.

Have you seen the screenshot from Stardust? I saw it on his blog not too long ago, and it really feels like reading the book all over again.

:eek: :eek: I didn't even know they were filming it!! Hurray! You've made my day! And mrkgnaos day (another Gaiman-fan who's around here)!:D :D Stardust is my favourite Gaiman, so this is a real treat for me!!:D Have to go and find those caps immediately!

kittybrat,

I can't find those screenshots! :( You wouldn't happen to have a link to the right page? Pretty please?;)

!!!!! You reacted the same way I did when I found out! I was so happy, because, like you, Stardust is my favourite, too! I think Michelle Pfifer (I have NO idea how to spell her name right now) is in it, which is perfect... she has this stone cold, aloof beauty about her (which is why she was perfect in White Oleander - which was a great book AND movie).

Anyway, if you go to www.neilgaiman.com, click on his journal and scroll down a bit... I think it's the day he posted "bet you thought I was dead" or something. It's only one screen shot... actually, nevermind, it's still in my recent history:

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/Stardust2.jpg :D

Thanks! That picture really gives the right feeling, I agree. I can't wait to see it. I read on Neil's blog that he thought it was a mix between The Princess Bride and Pirates of the Caribbean and considering I looooove The Princess Bride and watched it like a million times growing up and also really like Pirates... that's just about as good as a fantasy movie can get!

I found this side with pictures from the movie. Apparently someone who loves Sienna Miller so it's a bit onesided, but still:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/6700832.html

I just started reading American Gods and so far I am really enjoying it. I am posting this question to you who have finished the book. I will admit that, in an effort not to spoil the book for me, I have not read through this thread or any others concerning this book, so if this question has already been discussed, sorry.

I am compelled to do research and learn about all the gods I am meeting in the book. I started looking them up on the internet and immediately realized that I might be spoiling some surprises for myself.

What is your advice on this? Continue to research or is it better not to know until Mr. Gaiman decides to share the information with me?

I don't think a quick check on these gods would hurt anything. It might even help explain the behavior of one or two..

Don't think it will spoil anything for you and may certainly help some understanding. There were certainly a few I hadn't heard of and I've since checked up on them.

Check them out! They will shed light on why they behave the way they behave. The book doesn't even name some of the characters and their actions not explained. It will not take away any enjoyment out of the books, but it's satisfying that you know their backgrounds and let them explain to you how they got to where they are in the book...

ds

American Gods was a book I had been meaning to read for several years. The only other Gaiman book I have read was his joint venture with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens, which I enjoyed greatly. American Gods won the Pulitzer and received rave reviews so I had high hopes.

I was disappointed. I can honestly only give it :star3:. It started well and had a lot of promise but it soon became very "cluttered". The story was all over the place and frequently went into much detail about characters who played no role in the story. I got the impression that Gaiman was trying to fill his book up with as many different gods as he could without thinking about whether or not he should. Sometimes less is more.

Also, the symbolism was overboard in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love good symbolism but good symbolism should come naturally. In American Gods I felt that the symbolism was being salted throughout the story just for the sake of loading it up just as some people add salt to their food without ever even tasting it.

As for the main character of Shadow I am going to be blunt. He was boring. He had no depth. I really didn't care what happened to him. Maybe that is what the author was going for but it didn't work for me.

I fully recognize that my disappointment may be the result of getting my hopes too high to begin with. I truly think the story is a great idea and a wonderful idea for a book. I just felt the execution fell flat. Judging from the reviews I have read I am in the minority. So if all of you Gaiman fans are going to thrash me, please be gentle.

So I loved Good Omens but didn't care for American Gods. Is it likely I would enjoy any of his other books?

As for the main character of Shadow I am going to be blunt. He was boring. He had no depth. I really didn't care what happened to him. Maybe that is what the author was going for but it didn't work for me.

Shadows are two-dimensional and have no depth.

So I loved Good Omens but didn't care for American Gods. Is it likely I would enjoy any of his other books?

Check out Neverwhere or Anansi Boys.

American Gods? Wow!

I have just been introduced to Neil Gaiman by a friend of mine and "American Gods" was my first read.

To begin with I found his writing style difficult. It didn't wasn't a smooth read (for me) but as I got further into the book, wow! I couldn't put it down!

Mixing mythological characters with real locations in the U.S, I could see why it won so many awards (Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker)

I HIGHLY recommend this book!

Someone make this onto a movie PLEASE! (Suggested actor to play Shadow Gerard Butler)

I'm a huge Sandman fan, but I hear amazing things about American Gods. That will probably be my next Gaiman read.

Here's the main American Gods thread: Merge?

American Gods is a great read. I'm surprised you haven't read it yet Libra6Poe.

And, merging the threads.

Back