• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Should drugs be legalized?

Should drugs be legalized?

• Stewart

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Stewart

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Stewart

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Stewart

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Smoking and drinking isn't exactly healthy either...I don't see the difference between those and weed.

Agree that smoking isn't healthy, and this is something that we would be better off without.

Drinking is a different story. There are no long term health problems from drining moderate amount of alcohol, and red wine has known health benefits.

Drugs would be safe if they were legalised.

There would also be less people taking them. Most kids start on drugs because it's 'naughty' and addicts need to push drugs to fund their habit.

Drugs being legal wouldn't make them more available. They already are!

Goverments can't legalise drugs. The drugs barons are too powerful to allow it.

The only good that would come of legalizing drugs would be the tax the government would collect.

Legalizing drugs wouldn't keep children from drugs any more than legalizing alcohol has keep children from drinking.

Robert said:
There are health concerns for long term use
There are health concerns regarding spending day-in and day-out in stressful environments, such as work. There are health concerns regarding eating at McDonald's. There are health concerns regarding driving a vehicle (completely sober). There are health concerns about drinking milk. There are health concerns about not drinking milk. Everything is a health concern these days.

I say legalize those that are all-natural and regulate them. At least this will take many dealers off of the streets and open up some other venues for taxation instead of nailing my paycheck every week.

I say legalize them and don't regulate them. Because I am a free-market zombie disciple that believes laissez-faire economics can solve any problem.

Nice to meet you Milton Friedman!:)

I'm not certain what the answer is on this topic. At one time, I was of the legalization mindset. That has changed as I have worked more extensively with "troubled" juveniles. I've taught girls who have been found passed out by air conditioners-I had no idea those things contained something that you could get high off of. I've had girls who injected gasoline with a syringe into their arm, or who have done meth. I'm not certain that I buy the argument that marijuana is a "gateway" drug, but I think it would be fair to say that a person who is in the "drug culture" will be more likely to do harder drugs as time goes on. That in and of itself shows there is a valid reason to view it as a "gateway" drug. To me, legalization will only work if we pour a ton of money into treatment centers and the like. As it now stands, the cost of treatment is prohibitive and not everyone can afford to send their kid or themselves to treatment. That has more to do with the shoddy American healthcare system than anything else. I guess regulation of softer drugs could pay for treatment.

Prohibition doesn't really have much of a good record, does it?

Legalise drugs. Make them available for sale from proper outlets and tax them as with drugs that are currently available legally, tobacco and alcohol.

You stop making it so 'sexy' and daring to youngsters in particular, and you wipe out huge amounts of the profits or organised crime at the same time.

... I am a free-market zombie disciple that believes laissez-faire economics can solve any problem.

I don't want to know what you've been taking.

I don't see any reason not to legalise marijuana. Some of the more dangerous drugs might not be such good candidates.

I assume that legalised drugs won't be legal for children, so there'll still be that "forbidden fruit" attraction. Even so, I think it'll be a healthier situation than the present one.

And I also think that alcohol and gambling should be made legal for younger people than are currently allowed access. It's idiotic that people can get married at 16 or whatever, can drive at 17, can sign legally binding documents at 18, can go and fight and die for their country at 18, but aren't allowed near a slot machine or a glass of wine till they're 21.

I say legalize them and don't regulate them. Because I am a free-market zombie disciple that believes laissez-faire economics can solve any problem.

Just for the record that is not what I really am. Those types amuse me because their naivete knows no limits. Fringe Libertarian philosophy at times is like anarchy but with a potent military.

Just for the record that is not what I really am. Those types amuse me because their naivete knows no limits. Fringe Libertarian philosophy at times is like anarchy but with a potent military.

That is almost quote worthy.

It is already legalized.

You can buy any prescription drugs over the internet. Any.

Without a prescription. One of the many loopholes in America.

I guess anyone who wants the things legalised is already on them so their vote's don't count; they have to much of a vested interest.

I say make them all illegal. That will sort out the men from the crack heads. :D

Whew....I was going to take that seriously but you supplied me with a smiley so I know you were just joking. You scared me there for a second.

From an objective standpoint its pretty hard to find any arguments to not legalise drugs. Legalising it would have many obvious benefits both for the drug users and the rest of society.

Back