• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Space opera fans...

Wabbit

Good news!

Peter F Hamilton has started a new trilogy! YAY :) The first book is called Pandora's star.

Here is the synopis:

'In AD 2329, humanity has colonised over four hundred planets, all of them interlinked by wormholes. With Earth at its centre, the Intersolar Commonwealth now occupies a sphere of space approximately four hundred light years across.

When an astronomer on the outermost world of Gralmond, observes a star 2000 light years distant - and then a neighbouring one - vanish, it is time for the Commonwealth to discover what happened to them. For what if their disappearance indicates some kind of galactic conflict? Since a conventional wormhole cannot be used to reach these vanished stars, for the first time humans need to build a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance. But it arrives to find each 'vanished' star encased in a giant force field -- and within one of them resides a massive alien civilisation.'

Sounds groovie, huh? :) Well... depending if you LIKED his other ones lol

I normally wait until a trilogy or whatever is compleate before I go out and buy. I like to read the whole thing in one go! :) So... It will be a LONG time before I read this new stuff by him lol I must check out the fallen dragon books while I wait :)

Regards
Sillywabbit

Haven't read anything by Peter F. Hamilton, heck, I don't even know the guy, but that synopsis does sound great!

I'll be checking it out!

Cheers, Martin :D

some more info :) This was taken from a posting from Amazon.co.uk

What do you do when you have written the last truly great space opera of the 20th Century? If you are Peter F. Hamilton, the answer seems to be to try and write the first great space opera of the 21st. He may have been pipped to the post by Alastair Reynolds' Inhibitor series in that regard, but The Commonwealth Saga, starting with Pandora's Star to be concluded in Judas Unchained, is an extremely impressive piece of work. In his Night's Dawn Trilogy Hamilton populated his universe with starships swallowing the void in artificial wormholes. In Pandora's Star wormholes directly link planets together, meaning visiting another world is as simple as getting on a train. There are no starships and the Intersolar Commonwealth is a peaceful, stable society. When two stars 1200 light-years away disappear, the Commonwealth builds the first faster-than-light ship to investigate. As the title suggests, this isn't a great idea and soon the Commonwealth is under threat of annihilation. Like Night's Dawn, this new series is complex, richly populated with interesting characters and with an effortless style which pulls you in and makes you care about what's happening, a skill most hard SF authors lack (hello Gregory Benford!). The ending is shocking, the humour is impressive (especially the prologue which must rank as one of the best SF novel openings ever) and the 18-month wait for book two will be interminable. Extremely impressive.

Sounds great, huh? :)

Regards
Sillywabbit

Quick question, though. I'm not a huge Sci-Fi reader, because I can't stand it when they keep going into the technical details of things. Does Hamilton do that? Or is it more storyline-driven?

Martin... I'm not sure you will like it

Yes, it has very strong multiple story lines in his books but its very big on tecno bable as well :)

regards
Sillywabbit

Okay, thanks for being honest.

Is it in any way comparable to Greg Bear. I couldn't even plough through the first fifty pages of Eon.

Martin...

Hmmmm not sure.... It's a long time since I read Eon.

I did lend a friend my copy of the first book in the Nights Dawn trilogy. He is not a SF reader and he didn't like it because of all the details in it.

OK, I'll type you an example from the pages of my copy of "Reality Dysfunction"

Space outside the attack cruiser Beezling tore open in fire places. For a moment anyone looking into the expanding rents would have recived a true glimpe into infinity. The pseudofabric sructure of the wormholes was a phtonic dead zone, a darkness so profound it seemed to be spillling out to contaminate the real universe. The ships were suddenly streaking up and out of the gaping termini, accelerating away at six gees, twisting and turning on interception trajectories.

That's kinda the thing you can expect :) He decribes how many gee a ship pulls. What kinda particles a beam weapon is and so on. Not TOO techy.

What do you think?

Regards
Sillywabbit

SillyWabbit said:
Space outside the attack cruiser Beezling tore open in fire places. For a moment anyone looking into the expanding rents would have recived a true glimpe into infinity. The pseudofabric sructure of the wormholes was a phtonic dead zone, a darkness so profound it seemed to be spillling out to contaminate the real universe. The ships were suddenly streaking up and out of the gaping termini, accelerating away at six gees, twisting and turning on interception trajectories.

Ow. That made my head hurt. I guess that's why I read more fantasy than SF.

Hm, that sounds quite intriguing. Still, Since I just bought Pt. 1 of the Armageddon Cyclus, I'll wait how I like that one?!

:)

Yay! Found my copy of The Reality Dysfunction!!

Started reading it a couple of days ago - i was on page 350 and thought i must be getting fairly far into it, so i checked ..... yup, thats page 350 of 1250 .... in book 1 of 3 .... aaaarrggghhh!!!! :D

But its good, oh yes, its good :)

Phil

Its great!! Sooooooo many characters though - its hard to keep track of who's who at the moment!!

Phil

Yeah, and more join in!

I know what you mean, I kept thinking... now who is this again??? lol

Wait till you reach the end, you will really wanna read what happens next!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Well, im a siginificant portion into it, and the character problem is being alleviated by Hamilton killing most of them off!! :) Only, now theres more of them!! :(

By the way, is it me, or is the guy a little obsessed with sex?? If his characters arent killing one another, then you can be assured that they'll be getting it on!!

Phil

Back