• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions?

Geek

I hope this is okay to put here.

I've recently been trying to get my brother to read more. He reads but mostly Manga and Xmen comics. Which i have nothing against because i also love Spiderman comics :D

He has read a few books before but not enough to really have a certain genre of books. I've made suggestions before and he has read them but i don't think it's my place to suggest something that i know little about. I do read Science fiction but not enough to suggest a book to a newcomer. I don't wanna make a bad suggestion and him think alll books are bad.

I know for a fact he loves science. He has always shown interest in space and aliens ect. He really likes myths like Bigfoot and The Lockness monster. So i'm wondering if theres anything anyone can suggest?

Agreed on the Artemis Fowl.

Also, my two older children have recently begun to enjoy all those Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. The theory is they're humorous, though I haven't read them myself. I was surprised that my oldest girl, 19, liked them, even though my son,14, liked them first!:)

The two currently in house are Going Postal and Jingo.

How old is your brother?

He's sixteen. I have suggested Artemis fowl before but he didn't think it looked interesting. He loves Gore and bloody alien type stuff. He's not big on big adventures and cool characters. He really is quite picky :D

He's sixteen. I have suggested Artemis fowl before but he didn't think it looked interesting. He loves Gore and bloody alien type stuff. He's not big on big adventures and cool characters. He really is quite picky :D

Well then..how about Hunters of the Dark Sea by Mel Odom
http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Dark-...f=sr_1_12/102-7533998-3658529?ie=UTF8&s=books
It's got lots of blood and gore and a scary creature too, In many ways it reminds me of a Jules Verne novel, probably due to the time period in which it is set, but there's a strong element of danger and mystery, with a touch of alien stuff just to make it interesting. I normally don't go in for the creature feature element, but this one was pretty good.

Maybe John Wyndham's books? Larry Niven's? Look into modern sci-fi if he enjoys science. Hugo winners may be a good start.

Ah John Wyndham. I'd recommend The Chrysalids - a group of talented (read: powers) kids that are fugitives in their own world - hunted because of their abilities. uhm. I think. :) I read this more than 10 years ago, but I remember coming away with a positive reaction. I remember the youngest brother in the story, and you will too if you read the book.

ds

Thank you all for the suggestions. I welcome any other suggestions if anyone has them.

I suggest the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan or maybe Clive Barker's Abarat series. Barker's books are filled with awesome, weird and colorful art that could lure your brother into reading them.:)

I think that maybe now he could be old enough for Poppy Z Brite's Exquisite Corpe...but it might be of questionable taste when it comes to you.

I suggest the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan or maybe Clive Barker's Abarat series. Barker's books are filled with awesome, weird and colorful art that could lure your brother into reading them.:)

I think that maybe now he could be old enough for Poppy Z Brite's Exquisite Corpe...but it might be of questionable taste when it comes to you.

What is the Cirque Du Freak series about?

And what is so bad about Exquisite Corpe?

Thanks for the link.

But it seems like the Cirque Du Freak series is more for yonger children. Or is it just me?

The Exquisite Corpse sounds like something i would read not my brother. He doesn't really like books about Sexuality or Religion. He's a very unserious guy.

I have a feeling your brother might like the Sandman comics. I know they're still comics, but they're very intelligent comics. And there are a lot of references to mythology and literature (especially Shakespeare) and that kind of thing...there's a good chance that if he read them, he might be interested in reading more of Neil Gaiman's prose, and eventually he would start reading other things besides comics.

The Sandman comics have a fair amount of gore, wonderful three-dimensional characters, and a bit of humor. They're a fantasy/horror series. But they're very thought-provoking and every time I read a new one, I feel like I've gained a deeper insight into something.

definately artemis fowl, yes.

i'm not sure if you answered or not, but how old is your brother? I would suggest webmage, but it has adult content.

also, robert a. heinlein. it doesn't have a lot of technology, etc.. in it but it's definately sci fi.

I have a feeling your brother might like the Sandman comics. I know they're still comics, but they're very intelligent comics. And there are a lot of references to mythology and literature (especially Shakespeare) and that kind of thing...there's a good chance that if he read them, he might be interested in reading more of Neil Gaiman's prose, and eventually he would start reading other things besides comics.

The Sandman comics have a fair amount of gore, wonderful three-dimensional characters, and a bit of humor. They're a fantasy/horror series. But they're very thought-provoking and every time I read a new one, I feel like I've gained a deeper insight into something.
Wow! my brother would love that.

And He is sixteen Hermione Weasley.

Back