• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Scar

Just finished The Scar, and i absolutely loved it all the up to the end, when once again it seemed to peter out into nothing - is this a problem with the author or just with me - anyone else get a feeling of anitclimax about the whole thing??

Great book though - Pirates, aarrrrrrrr :D

Phil

PS:
Wasnt Uther Doul an absolute bastard!! Personally i believe he manipulated the WHOLE chain of events so that he could take control!! He was kinda cool though, i want a Possible Sword!!

I didn't think there was an anti-climax to the Scar, I found the ending excellent.
Bellis Coldwine = me. That was something that always struck me as I read, how similar our characters are.

Well they couldn't could they? It would have been foolhardy.
And I don't think Uther manipulated everything. I think he just saw what a dumb idea it was, and how dangerous it was, and how psychotic the Lovers were and so when he saw the opportunity he took it.

From what little was mentioned of it, I think a book based in Uther's home town would make for an interesting read.

phil_t said:
Just finished The Scar, and i absolutely loved it all the up to the end, when once again it seemed to peter out into nothing - is this a problem with the author or just with me - anyone else get a feeling of anitclimax about the whole thing??

Great book though - Pirates, aarrrrrrrr :D

Phil

I didnt think it was an aniticlimax to the ending, in fact it left me wanting to know more. I felt disappointed that the book had ended and do hope the author returns to these characters in the future :)

His next book is called Iron Council and should be out sometime this summer. Like the Scar to Perdido Street Station, it will be a sequel set in the same world, but not a direct sequel.

Oponn said:
His next book is called Iron Council and should be out sometime this summer. Like the Scar to Perdido Street Station, it will be a sequel set in the same world, but not a direct sequel.

I'd seen this listd as being out July 04 :)

Does a little new book dance :) Is it gonna be hardback this time, or straight to paperback again??

Phil

phil_t said:
Does a little new book dance :) Is it gonna be hardback this time, or straight to paperback again??

Phil

I think the new release in July is the Hardback one.

The paperback is released on the 1st of July and the hardback the 17th of September (according to amazon)

About a quarter into this and it is undoubtedly the weirdest f@#ing thing I've ever read, plotwise. The detail! The monsters! The tentacles! It's just bizarre. I think I like it, but I'll want a long break of very predictable reading after.

Ash, I'd like to hear not only your thoughts on it when finished, but how long it took you to absorb it as well.
It's in my TBR pile and was going to read it a month or so ago but got sidetracked by a few others and not sure when I'll get to it now.

RaVeN

I think Mieville is probably a lot like Marmite. You figure out pretty early on in one of his books if you like him or not. And he leaves you with plenty of questions about his characters when it's all over.

When I grow up I want to be Uther Doul.

I also feel THe Scar leaves you with lots of questions about the character, which is why I enjoyed it so much :)

rune said:
I also feel THe Scar leaves you with lots of questions about the character, which is why I enjoyed it so much :)

Like what happens to the lover after she sails off? Does she ever make it there? What happens when/if she does? Did Bellis get picked up by the authorities once she got back home? Where Did Uther take Armada once he was shot of the Lover? Was it his plan all along to sieze control, or did he just see the danger they were in and want to save people? Where can I get one of those cool little statues that makes you go all twisty and twirly and able to hid behind shadows?

I'm sure there's a whole other book about what happens to everybody after The Scar ends, but I think that would spoil it for me a bit. I prefer to make it up for myself.

Litany said:
I'm sure there's a whole other book about what happens to everybody after The Scar ends, but I think that would spoil it for me a bit. I prefer to make it up for myself.

I don't think that's what the next book is about. It's a similar jump as the Scar was from Perdido St Station. Same worlds, a couple of links, but very distinct stories.
Iron Council should be out in hardback very soon. But the paperback isn't coming till September 2005 :mad:

Oponn said:
I don't think that's what the next book is about. It's a similar jump as the Scar was from Perdido St Station. Same worlds, a couple of links, but very distinct stories.
That's not how I meant it. :) I meant that there was enough left out of The Scar that Mieville could fill another book with it. I've already heard about the Iron Council though, and I'm fidgetting in my seat in anticipation.

Back