• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: The Real Life Of Sebastian Knight

Originally posted by Peder ......the refusal of the mask to wash off, simply ends the story on the unresolved note that V will never be free of Sebastian. That might indeed be called an ultimate "existential" ending with the protagonist left completely unresolved and on-stage alone in the muddle of life.
Just as in Life itself. But I did feel a sort of resolution, that Life would in fact go on as it will whether we want it to go in that direction or not. V does not wish to be free of Sebastian. That is the point. He wants to be Sebastian. So in a real sense, it is V that is becoming Sebastian at his own behest.

As far as the Doubtful Asphodel, I am firm in believing that Nabokov was expressing his own doubts and wonderings as to 'what comes next.'

Pontalba;
Just as in Life itself. But I did feel a sort of resolution, that Life would in fact go on as it will whether we want it to go in that direction or not. V does not wish to be free of Sebastian. That is the point. He wants to be Sebastian. So in a real sense, it is V that is becoming Sebastian at his own behest.

It would be nice if it all could be tied up so neatly, perhaps Peder, if you keep trying you may just be able to do it :). But I think as Pontalba says there is a sort of resolution and thats all we're likely to get from Nabokov.
As for Greek mythology - most dead souls dwell on the plain of Asphodel, where they wander aimlessly as mere shadows of their earthly selfs. V is a mere shadow of Sebastian, doomed to wander earth as nothing but a mere shadow of Sebastian? Ok, so i'm clutching at straws.:D

Gem said:
V is a mere shadow of Sebastian, doomed to wander earth as nothing but a mere shadow of Sebastian?
Gem, Pontalba,
I wouldn't call that clutching at straws by any means, Gem. It may just be exactly the way V does feel about it.
As for souls wandering the plain in Greek Myhtology, and dubious views of Nabokov about the Asphodel, I can't help suggesting a reading and comparison of Transparent Things before clamping the lid down tight as final on those topics.
Peder

Really when it comes down to it, Nabokov doesn't button everything up neatly. So on such a subject that is so varied in beliefs, he was bound to have ideas of his own that may be off the beaten path so to speak.

So, Gem I suppose that could have been what he meant. I just tend to take the more earth-bound take on the subject. :)

And as for you Peder, that sounds like an interesting comparative study. :cool:

pontalba said:
And as for you Peder, that sounds like an interesting comparative study. :cool:
You called?
I note only that the subject has come up before, raised mainly by steffee a bit back.
I merely echo-oh-oh-oh-oh.
:)

Hello,
Peder: As for souls wandering the plain in Greek Myhtology, and dubious views of Nabokov about the Asphodel, I can't help suggesting a reading and comparison of Transparent Things before clamping the lid down tight as final on those topics.

I'll be going to the bookshop tomorrow possibly, I'll add it to the list:) , any other Nabokov must reads I should have?

Gem said:
Hello,
I'll be going to the bookshop tomorrow possibly, I'll add it to the list:) , any other Nabokov must reads I should have?
Gem,
Welcome to the club of how-do-I-pick-one? :)
Frankly, I have been wondering about an answer to that question ever since I have seen how many novels he has written. By now I have come to realize that they are all different and, at least IMO, all make enjoyable reading. So, in a sense I would suggest making the choice among his novels the same way you would choose among novels of any other author whom you like. But I know that sounds like such an enormous cop-out! :eek:
So let me offer what have been my own random approaches.

My own exceedingly well-read local bookstore owner once suggested Vera by Stacy Shiff and I enjoyed it immensely. It is a biography of Nabokov's wife, a truly remarkable woman in herself, but more than that it is a wonderful and heart warming story of their devotion to each other and their long marriage together. IMO it rivals in truth whatever you will read in fiction anywhere. If you like love-stories, this is it! And it serves also as a good one-volume introduction to the man himself because he is never very far out of sight. So If you see Vera, it's automatically worth picking up IMO.

His two greatest are said to be Lolita (obviously) and Pale Fire.
His four greatest round that out with the addition of Pnin and Ada, or Ardor, I believe.
His last two were Transparent Things and Look at the Harlequins, in that order.

So, if you wish to see and read the full flowering of his mature and dazzling talents those are the six. Pnin is by far the story with one of the most easily likable of all his protagonists and the easiest to simply read along as a straightforward likable story. But we have also just seen Sebastian Knight as a formidable story with extraordinary writing, so his supposedly "lesser" novels are not very lesser at all in my strong opinion.

If you think in terms of chronology, then Mary is his first.

After having followed exactly that route in my purchases, I myself decided O heck! Might as well buy and read all of them! At that point I bought them by two's and three's, simply by reading the back-cover blurbs and picking the ones that sounded more interesting. (I was fortunate that my local Borders, both of them, stock all of them.YAY) Now I have all of them but two, (Bend Sinister and Invitation to a Beheading because I sincerely avoid politics) and have never regretted buying any of them.

If you'd like to know what's up next for discussion, I think the fair answer is I don't really know. I wouldn't mind hearing your suggestion(s) at all! Pick a new one for us by all means!

That doesn't narrow it down very much, I realize, but I hope it builds up your confidence that you can't go wrong and that you will (very probably) enjoy any one that you do see and purchase. So be brave!

Questions cheerfully answered,
And I envy you your prospective bookstore visit, :
Peder

lol Peder, I so love your full-of-common-sense insights into Nabokovomania! :D

I struggled through Ada (or Ardor) and will definitely need to reread that. Transparent Things is catching my eye, but I have a huge pile that I haven't touched. Despair is one... must get Vera, keep forgetting. Oh, and Laughter in the Dark.

Thank you Peder, your recommendations have been duly added to the list.

I don't know how i'm going to manage to carry my purchases home, perhaps i should take a shopping trolley with me.:D

If you'd like to know what's up next for discussion, I think the fair answer is I don't really know. I wouldn't mind hearing your suggestion(s) at all! Pick a new one for us by all means!

Oh no! I'll leave that responsibility to worthier hands. Whatever you all decide to choose next, I'll read along and chime in every so often - (read that as; i'll come for the coffee :D )

Hmmm.....good thing I already have all of 'em. :eek: :cool: :D
Decisions, decisions, decisions.....;)

Steffee I applaud you! Ada, I know is not easy. I have read the first few pages. Thats it! You wouldn't regret Laughter in the Dark though. Right now I still have Look at the Harlequins! partially started.

Gem said:
Oh no! I'll leave that responsibility to worthier hands. Whatever you all decide to choose next, I'll read along and chime in every so often - (read that as; i'll come for the coffee :D )
Oh no, your hands are just as worthy! ;)

Really, choose something. It's much more fun when there are several of us reading. :D

Ooh, Pontalba, my uni library has Harlequins, must have another look at that.

Steffee,
Really, choose something. It's much more fun when there are several of us reading

You mean like make a decision? I have difficulty choosing which pen to use each day, choosing another Nabokov to discuss would take us well into the next year :rolleyes: :D

I do have a copy of Look at the Harlequins, as does Pontalba, sounds like you can get your hands on a copy, Peder?

Having said that, I am a sheep - i will follow blindly where you all lead.:D

Originally posted by Gem You mean like make a decision? I have difficulty choosing which pen to use each day, choosing another Nabokov to discuss would take us well into the next year
I think what is facing us is an embarassment of riches. :D :cool:
Whatever you guys choose is ok with me. I have semi/sorta started Harlequins, so thats good for me. I believe Peder mentioned starting it as well, and if you (Gem) have a copy, and Steffee wants to, it sounds like a semi plan. :D

Peder?? otherwise known as "Fearless Leader", (but don't tell him) /clearing of throat is heard/....whaddya think? :D

Gem said:

And as for that ^^^^^ :rolleyes: :p

Oh, coffee we've plenty of that! Ain't no "worthier hands' 'round these here parts though.

Oh! btw, there is a Sebastian mentioned in passing in Harlequins. Just thought I'd pass that bit on...don't know if it will develop, probably not, but interesting all the same.....:D

Yay, sounds like we have a current Nabokov Book Group book choice. Will fetch Harlequins tomorrow, so you all can get reading. ;)

Steffee,
Yay, sounds like we have a current Nabokov Book Group book choice. Will fetch Harlequins tomorrow, so you all can get reading.

I guess that means no television for me tonight - i'd better finish the three books i'm currently halfway through and get started on Harlequins tomorrow.:eek:

I see great things happen when I look the other way! YAY :) :) :)
Harlequins is fine for me. Nabokov's already polished off one wife, only a few more to go. :D But I better get busy, even so.
You guys do good work :D
Peder

Harlequin20Butterfly.jpg

Harlequins it is.

Magnificent it is, SIL,
And Harlequins too!

"You should have heard the ooh's and ahh's
Everyone wondering who she was.
And when the Prince of Transylvania
Asked to meet her...
............................."No!"
......................................."Ja, wohl!"