• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: The Real Life Of Sebastian Knight

Separately I have to remark that Sebastian was a writer, and what an opportunity that gives to VN for literary allusions, puns, creativity and assorted free word-play. The provide a seaprate topic-within-a-topic in the book and can really be enjoyed separately. The fun begins on p. 5
Last winter at a literary lunch, in South Kensington, a celebrated old critic, whose brilliancy and learning I have always admired, was heard to remark as the talk fluttered around Sebastian Knight's untimely death: "Poor Knight! He really had two careers, the first -- a dull man writing broken English, the second -- a broken man writing dull English."
Nabokov couldn't resist twisting the tiger's tail in his own humorous way.
Think also of his conclusion to the interview with Herbert Gold (in Pifer's Lolita Casebook, p.206):
GOLD Are there significant diasadvantages to your present fame?
NABOKOV: Lolita is famous, not I. I am an obscure, doubly obscure, novelist with an unpronounceable name."
It would take a reader with a mordantly serious outlook to miss the humor in his conversational style.
Peder

steffee said:
Oh, Cloud, Castle, Lake - it contains: The Admiralty Spire, Razor, A Russian Beauty, Signs and Symbols, and of course Cloud, Castle, Lake.
Thanks Steffee, phew! I have those in The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov....ya had me worried there....:D

steffee said:
But Peder, you posted at 2.40pm :confused: ;)
Nabokov time!!! 9:40am my time!
And you knew it all along, tease! Even though you did make me go back and check!

steffee said:
Have you two forgotten you have moi, joining in this discussion? ;)
Surely you jest!!................and don't call me Shirley!! :eek:

Seriously though.............are you nuts!? You and SIL and Peder and Breaca and me make up the dynamic quints........quads....no thats 4, what the heck is 5....yeah, I think its quints....:cool:

I'm soooo :confused:

:D
;)

Quints, Shirley... I mean, Pontalba. That's right. :D

I was being serious actually, I have some serious catching up to do, Nabokov wise. Upto Chapter 5 now though, yay! :D

Edited: forgot the italics.

On close rereading, I am finding it almost impossible to break free of fascination with the authorial descriptions of Sebastian which, by design, thickly populate Chapters 2 and especially 3, the last chapters before V's search begins to take shape in Chapter 4. One gets V's recollections of Sebastian, and I am left wondering at VN's thoughts that led to the writing of such recollections as V has. They seem so idiosyncratic. Which are VN and which are not? If it is possible to characterize any at all that way, instead of all being sheer literary creation. But some thoughts are clearly true, others clearly fictional.
In commenting that Goodman knows nothing of Sebastian's upbringing or of Russian surroundings, V writes:
What should really be stressed is the fact that Sebastian was brought up in an atmosphere of intellectual refinement, blending the spiritual grace of a Russian household with the very best treasures of European culture, and that whatever Sebastian's own reaction to his Russian memories, its complex and special nature never sank to the vulgar level suggested by [Goodman].
V continues:
I remember Sebastian as a boy, six years my senior, gloriously messing with water colors...
Then later on when he was sixteen and I ten, explaining things in such a rapid impatient way that nothing ever came of his assistance,....

His hair was now glossily parted, and he wrote verse in a black copybook which he kept locked up in his drawer....The signature under each poem was a little black chess piece drawn in ink.
In Chapter 3, Sebastian wrote in Lost Property:
I always think that one of the purest emotions is that of the banished man pining after the land of his birth.
And V commented:
All things considered it had been his home, and the set of kindly, well-meaning, gentle-mannered people driven to death or exile for the simple crime of their existing was the set to which he too belonged.
Sebastian then went to London and Cambridge
We did not hear from him very often, nor were his letters very long. During his years at Cambridge, he visited us in Paris but twice -- better say once, for the second time was when he came over for my mother's funeral.

When Sebastian visited us in Paris at the close of his first university year, I was struck by his foreign appearance. He wore a canary yellow jumper under his tweed coat. His flannel trousers were baggy, and his thick socks sagged, innocent of suspenders. The stripes of his tie were loud and for some odd reason he carried his handkerchief in his sleeve. He smoked his pipe in the street, knocking it out against his heel. He had developed a new way of standing with his back to the fire, his hands stuck deep in his trousers pockets......

The question of money was also touched upon and he remarked in his queer offhand way that he could always let me have as much cash as I might require -- I think he used the word "tin"...

"Well that's that. If you need anything write me to my London address....."

"Good luck.....Cheerio" and shook my hand in the limp self-conscious fashion he had acquired in England.

Suddenly, for no earthly reason I felt immensely sorry for him.

Some of it is clear creation, some rooted in fact, but all of it is a more detailed and extensive narration of 'personal' or 'family' life than I recall seeing in any VN novel to date -- with the exception of Ada, or Ardor which is actually in the form of a full-blown fictional autobiography.

Against this background of recollection, V stakes stock of the situtation in Chapter 4 and asks himself "But what actually did I know of Sebastian?"

And then the story begins,
Peder

steffee said:
Quints, Shirley... I mean, Pontalba. That's right. :D

I was being serious actually, I have some serious catching up to do, Nabokov wise. Upto Chapter 5 now though, yay! :D

Edited: forgot the italics.
Steffee,
The discussion hasn't jumped out in front of you, so I don't think you are in bad shape. I'm only starting chapter 4. So stay in touch and I think you'll easily be part of it. I am wondering what you think of VN's description of the Cambridge Sebastian. He sounds flamboyant from this time and distance.
Peder

Peder said:
Steffee,
The discussion hasn't jumped out in front of you, so I don't think you are in bad shape. I'm only starting chapter 4. So stay in touch and I think you'll easily be part of it. I am wondering what you think of VN's description of the Cambridge Sebastian. He sounds flamboyant from this time and distance.
Peder
Awww if it does then feel free. I will be finished by tomorrow or the nextest day, I should think, anyway.

Who else do we have reading? Still? Breaca? SFG? Ms.?

I will write about Sebastian in Cambridge after rereading it. :rolleyes:

steffee said:
Who else do we have reading?

There are others reading even though few have yet shown here. Ms. for example, will be joining us shortly. And I assume others (the regulars :) ) as time permits.
I'll be interested in hearing your comments on Sebastian at Cambridge, because clothing style has surfaced in Glory also, where Sonia made some absolutely wthering remarks about how Martin was dressed. It seems to be a topic of VN's. So I wonder what's behind it. A grain of truth? Or more? In case anyone knows. :confused:
Peder

Just off the top of my head, didn't VN dress fairly....um, flamboyantly? :D So I expect its a natural offshoot.
I have to get busy and reread. I just keep on getting side tracked. :eek:

steffee said:
Who else do we have reading? Still? Breaca? SFG? Ms.?

Steffee It'd be interesting to hear a comparision of the styles of dress Then and Now. I mean....I know how different it is, but what I am trying to say is.......do students project the same type of "aura" for want of a better word?
Am I being clear as mud? /sigh/

And yes, Breaca is reading it now, and will join in later. :cool:

pontalba said:
Just off the top of my head, didn't VN dress fairly....um, flamboyantly? :D So I expect its a natural offshoot.
Yes, I remember stories to that effect also, from Vera, which is partly why I wonder. But OTOH I don't especially recall pictures of him dressed in any odd or outstanding way. It's a strange topic to try to figure out why he dresses his characters the way he does. Especially so flamboyantly. And then to treat them as producing negative reactions is something to wonder further about. And we may never know the answer either, because of differences in tastes and fashions. Just one of those things that tickles my curiosity because it is so noticeable. Part of his stock in trade for creating characters it seems. Or maybe for creating character interactions? Liking or not liking a person because of the way they dress?
Peder

Irrelevant but I had to look up otiose (and I love it, I must use it, and often). I remember first beginning with Nabokov and I needed a dictionary to hand for at least ten words on every page, but it's getting easier, unless Lolita is the most thick with grandiose vocabulary? Aside from Ada of course. Also had to do a little research on Keats' La Belle Dame Sans Merci, which I learn is about death and illness? Hmmm...

But anyway... is it just me or does V seem rather bitter about Sebastian being in England? Jealous? The way he says that Sebastian spent three years there and "visited us only twice - better say once, for the last time was for my mother's funeral". And "Sebastian, for all his moodiness..." (both Chapter 3). And then in Chapter 5... "Sebastian's sense of inferiority was based on his trying to out-England England, and never succeeeding..."

The clothing then (yes, Pontalba, I know what you mean about the "aura" lol)... "clad in a brown dressing gown and old pumps". That's kind of what Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) students are rumoured to dress like, even now. It's not true, of course, but if such a student were to crop up in conversation, that's the immediate image... brown corduroys, brown woolly jumpers, brown scarves, etc. Maybe Nabokov just extended that "brown" idea into a dressing gown too, or maybe back then they really did wear brown clothes. I live only an hour from Cambridge and have never seen anyone dressed that way... The "pushbikes" is very true. Oxford and Cambridge (and many other "University cities" here) are packed with them, and it's quite scary, I'd imagine, for drivers with so many on the roads.

Peder quoting SK said:
When Sebastian visited us in Paris at the close of his first university year, I was struck by his foreign appearance. He wore a canary yellow jumper under his tweed coat. His flannel trousers were baggy, and his thick socks sagged, innocent of suspenders. The stripes of his tie were loud and for some odd reason he carried his handkerchief in his sleeve. He smoked his pipe in the street, knocking it out against his heel.
The apparel is exagerated somewhat, but yes, that's what students from Cambridge university typically are perceived as wearing. I dunno, maybe without the tie. Maybe the tie was a formal thing, or a fashion statement. Or something.

Is there any significance that Sebastian Knight (and indeed, all the Knights in the family) and Clare Bishop are both chess pieces? Maybe not, but wasn't Nabokov a chess fan? Have I invented that? Hmmm. Clare Bishop has only briefly been mentioned up to now, does she play a bigger role in the story later on? Also, the butterfly on the front of Sebastian's notebook? Butterfly, Nabokov, butterflies, etc.

The linguist at Cambridge seems interesting. I'm only halfway through Chapter six at the moment but the Russian / Bulgarian stuff was quite funny. Sebastian seems quite irritable, unless that is merely V's portrayal of him? And do the names of Sebastian's stories have any relevance? They are unusual.

Ah, Steffee!
I see you are getting into the meat of things with questions there for a million posts! Yay Steffee! Way to go!
Let me take a shot at the simplest one. I think "The Funny Mountain" is a riff on the famous "The Magic Mountain" by Thomas Mann, whom VN did not think much of as an author.
V's attitude toward Sebastian? Haven't looked at that closely, Chapter 4 still in my future. But "felt sorry for him." Indeed, why?! And maybe yours is the answer. Sounds good here.
I'm late, I'm late!
Gotta catch up!
Peder
White Rabbit

steffee said:
But anyway... is it just me or does V seem rather bitter about Sebastian being in England? Jealous? The way he says that Sebastian spent three years there and "visited us only twice - better say once, for the last time was for my mother's funeral". And "Sebastian, for all his moodiness..." (both Chapter 3). And then in Chapter 5... "Sebastian's sense of inferiority was based on his trying to out-England England, and never succeeeding..."
I don't see V being jealous of Sebastian. More like wanting to be him/like him. This aspect will be borne out in greater detail later. The way V compares his prose skills to Sebastian's is one example. Big Brother Worship? In a sense yes, even though Sebastian didn't give proper attention to the questions of his young brother, whatever he did give was eagerly accepted.

Sebastian seems to be the sort that is never satisfied, not that its his fault (I think), its more that the life he planned and wanted was swept away from him in such a manner and being a perfectionist he felt he had to create this whole new persona for England. Thus "out-England England" comes into play. Over compensation to the Nth degree perhaps.

And Steffee thanks for the low down on University clothing. Interesting that it probably hasn't changed (maybe less formal) much since VN's time.

Back