• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When Is It Okay To Commit Suicide?

I don't think many would approve of suicide...but I think you should have the right to end your life if you wanted to... Just consider the effect it would have on those close to you.

Most people argue against suicide for its apparent selfishness: people aren't thinking about the others when they kill themselves. Well, I think when someone reaches the psychological stage when they wish to kill themselves, worrying about what others will think could hardly matter. Living just for the sake of others wouldn't be much of a reason.

Anyway:
Virginia Woolf
Mário de Sá-Carneiro
Sylvia Plath
Ernest Hemingway
Reinaldo Arenas
Camilo Castelo Branco
Primo Levi
Horácio Quiroga
Hunter S Thompson...

... the ones I can remember.

Beautiful People who commited suicide:

Actors
Marilyn Monroe
Freddie Prinze
Jonathan Brandis
Margaux Hemingway

Musicians
Michael Hutchenson (Lead Singer of INXS)
Del Shannon (Singer of "Runaway")
Kurt Cobain
Elliott Smith
Phil Ochs
Nick Drake
Frankie Lymon

Writers
John Kennedy Toole
Jack London
Ernest Hemingway
Sylvia Plath
Virginia Woolf
Hunter S Thompson

Others
Adolf Hitler
Bud Dwyer(The Politician That Shot Himself On Live TV)
Sigmend Freud
Meriwether Lewis
Brutus
Cleopatra
Nero
Spalding Gray
Hannibal (The General)
Vincent Van Gogh
Frida Kahlo

Adolph Hitler is beautiful......wow. Just when I thought things couldn't sink any lower here.

Way late to this discussion but I believe that suicide is never the right choice. Ever. There are too many people, Eyez, who suffer greatly, wondering why someone they loved made this choice. The ripple effect is tremendous.

Way late to this discussion but I believe that suicide is never the right choice. Ever. There are too many people, Eyez, who suffer greatly, wondering why someone they loved made this choice. The ripple effect is tremendous.
...but the suicidal does not think of all this. They only see what they feel, and don't see a point in living for others' sake. Suicide is a selfish ploy, but not one to be taken lightly. I do not approve, but truthfully, can we stop someone intent on taking their own life? No. They will hurt and pain everyone who knew them, but they won't know it. They'll be dead. They don't HAVE to face the consequences anymore.

I don't think anyone but the suicidal approves of suicide in general (though whether or not doctor-assisted suicide should be legal is still a debate). But it's not as if you can make suicide illegal.

Of course, we do need to do what we can to help suicidal people. I've always liked this quote by Richard Bach: "Anyone desperate enough for suicide...should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.” Unfortunately, many suicidal people aren't seeing straight and won't act on the quote.

This is one of those things that unless you have undergone some experience, that you have no idea what it's about. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a terminal disease, let alone a painful one. Bone cancer, brain tumors, etc. I have known people who have taken care of relatives that they literally watched wasting away. I have yet to meet a person who thought it was a good thing that their relative was a "trooper" who wanted to hang on until the bitter end when they became an emaciated 98 ibs. corpse. I have a hard time as a citizen, believing that in any way, the decision to end a life(especially if it's that person's will to do so) is anyone else's decision but theirs.

Back