• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writing software

Yes I realised that when I googled it. I was merely attempting to be amusing with a local product. No coincidence intended I'm sure given the developer is Dutch.

I may try Scrivner someday, but right now, I'm still stuck one the convenience of my old, faithful word program...and not even the "new" one.

don't worry you aren't the only one with an old version of word, but it makes horrible horrible html code though.

I use plain OpenOffice and Vim. That, and a paper notebook. Anything more complex seems overkilling to me.
Vim?? Seriously? Wow. That's hardcore, man! If anything I think using Vim's the part that's the overkill... :)

I want to get a copy of Scrivener, because I harbour hopes of earning tons from passive income as a bone-fide commercial author. But I'm too cheap to pay full price for it. They have a special during NaNoWriMo, and if you win NaNo you can get a discounted price. So the problem for me is I need Scrivener to do NaNo. But I can't get Scrivener doing finishing NaNo.

So I buy a Kindle and read on it instead.

Reactions: Ell
I use Vim for operating with electronic book formats. Auto-converters suck, so I like to read the format specification and convert stuff by hand, or at least use an auto-converter and then clean the messy code with an editor.

I don't use a heavy modified configuration for Vim. My config files are mostly what you get with default Slackware.

I don't use a heavy modified configuration for Vim. My config files are mostly what you get with default Slackware.
Slackware??? Wow! Showing off your stripes! :)

Once upon a time I had vi forced on me. No matter how people insisted it was fantastic, I didn't really like it. I just cannot handle vim/emacs. I love my Notepad++! :)

Slackware??? Wow! Showing off your stripes! :)

Once upon a time I had vi forced on me. No matter how people insisted it was fantastic, I didn't really like it. I just cannot handle vim/emacs. I love my Notepad++! :)

Different strokes for different folks never applied more than to software choices. What the one loves, the other hates. It's finding what works for you and your requirements that is the big headache. I can't tell you how many graphics programs I have actually lol I have ... (let me count quick) ... I think it's 12 but I might have left one or two out ... because this one does this thing great but not that, and that is for converting and that one for merging and this one does the other thing....

I absolutely love CELTX for scriptwriting, its FREE! and for me, completely intuitive but it was never intended for anything else and although they have added in a variety of other functions, the only bit that truly works well are the script writing functions soooo I had to find another thingy for editing stories. And well again I have multiple software. I have SIGIL - makes lovely ebooks but zero functionality for formatting anything except in the HTML which is quite frankly a pain. I don't mind tweaking a finished product in HTML but writing in it - no way Hosea!

Word as we all know has its issues. Notepad I use for short stuff - quickies I call them. I use Calibre to maintain my ebook library and convert between formats. And YWriter for second /third / final drafts. Breaking things into 'scenes' in a novel has really helped me a lot.

My work flow which so far is working - get the basic draft down in CELTX - my novels are also scripts so going from the script to the story within the same framework works best. Then open in YWriter and break down into scenes. Edit, edit, edit / rewrite, rewrite, rewrite.

SIGIL to get finished product into an acceptable ebook format after saving an HTML file from YWriter.

Then into Calibre to convert into different formats if necessary. This also corrects some of the quirks of SIGIL in terms of creating a CSS file.

Callibre is nice for the consumers, but it is not intended for publication. It still can do the trick.

I use SIGIL sometimes. It has a text editor to mess with the innards of the format and fix the problems presented by the auto-converter during importation.

I think the software you use to test the completed work is even more important than the one you use to complete it. FBReader, EPUBreader, Firefox, and a bunch of physical ereaders are what ensures your assembled files are useful to begin with.

Astonishingly you can read your e-book in Calibre without needing every e-reader known to semi work to do so :)

And don't get me started on the drawbacks of Firefox, the only thing more irritating to use is IE.

Meadow337 said:
Astonishingly you can read your e-book in Calibre without needing every e-reader known to semi work to do so :)

Which is nice, but end readers use a lots of different models of readers. Publisher's auto-software screws in lots of different ways also. I think ebooks are like webpages in that you should test your work with many readers.

Meadow337 said:
And don't get me started on the drawbacks of Firefox, the only thing more irritating to use is IE.

If you are trying to start another "browser war", I must tell you that it won't work with me, because I don't give a damn :)

PS: Lynx ROCKS.

What browser war? I think you've been frequenting the wrong forums lol :) we prefer a friendly exchange of differing opinions around here - no wars :)

If you are trying to start another "editor war", I must tell you that it won't work with me, because I don't give a damn :)
LOL! Don't worry about me, I'm very shy, therefore I shall start no wars. :) I think 'I don't give a damn' is a pretty good policy for sticking to personal preferences. :)

Back