• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

2006 - Best Reads

I liked it, but I've always liked Renfield the best in Dracula so maybe I am biased? ;)
ah ;) .

Hiya Steffee,
I have nothing left to say about your list - I think i've already said it all to you. I will pick up Mcgrath sometime this year though, and hopefully Proust as well.
Also, I read Ulysses because of your recommendation - I haven't decided whether to thank you or throttle you though :D - although I am leaning towards the thank you. So thank you.

Kavitha: how did you like the amulet of samarkand? it's one of my fave books.

who mentioned farenheit 451? I finished it this weekend. At a volleyball tournament.

I read the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. They are great books for those who like James Bond-like action.
Also: Winter Solstice - Rosamund Pilcher
Positive Thinking for a Time Like This - Norman vincent Peale

Best books I read last year were

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

My favorite reads from last year were:

The Memory of Running, by Ron McLarty
The Kite Runner, by Khaled Husseini
and Birdman and The Treatment, by Mo Hayder... very violent, but so well written.

Best reads

Geoffrey Eugenides- Middlesex
Kazuo Ishiguro- Never Let Me Go
Ana Gavalda- Ensemble c'est tout

And others but I'll have to check my reading list, sometimes I write down the titles I like best.

I forgot to mention:

3. Disciplining Jane by Jane Eyre (aka An English Education by P.N. Dedeaux)
4. Grimm Memorials by R. Patrick Gates

Both made a big impact on me. Thanks for the recommendations Lenny.

Reading for fun:
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher - I've read a number of these modern day "dark creatures are among us" books and Butcher's are the best. They have a nice noir feel.

Serious reading:
Carter Beats the Devil by Glen Gold - The story of a magician in 1920's San Francisco, but it's about much more than that. And, there are some wonderfully written moments. And, a couple very gripping magic tricks that actually work on paper.
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson - thick, sprawling, fascinating - it could have been another 500 pages and still worth it. The book that The DaVinci Code and a hundred others wanted to be.

Non-fiction:
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson - I love Bryson.

Some of my favorites from last year:

Bridge of Birds - Barry Hughart
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas Stanley and William Danko
Marva Collins' Way - Marva Collins
All the books I read by Mortimer Adler:
  • Paideia Proposal
  • A Vision of the Future
  • How to Speak, How to Listen
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • Aristotle for Everybody