• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

2013 Hugo Award Winners Announced

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
2013 Hugo Awards

Best Novel

• Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas, John Scalzi (Tor)
  • Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance, Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
  • 2312, Kim Stanley Robinson (Orbit)
  • Throne of the Crescent Moon, Saladin Ahmed (DAW)
  • Blackout, Mira Grant (Orbit)
Best Novella

• The Emperor’s Soul, Brandon Sanderson (Tachyon Publications)
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall, Nancy Kress (Tachyon Publications)
  • “The Stars Do Not Lie”, Jay Lake (Asimov’s, Oct-Nov 2012)
  • On a Red Station, Drifting, Aliette de Bodard (Immersion Press)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats, Mira Grant (Orbit)
Best Novelette

• “The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi”, Pat Cadigan (Edge of Infinity, Solaris)
  • “In Sea-Salt Tears”, Seanan McGuire (Self-published)
  • “Fade To White”, Catherynne M. Valente (Clarkesworld, August 2012)
  • “Rat-Catcher”, Seanan McGuire (A Fantasy Medley 2, Subterranean)
  • “The Boy Who Cast No Shadow”, Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Postscripts: Unfit For Eden, PS Publications)
Best Short Story

• “Mono no Aware”, Ken Liu (The Future is Japanese, VIZ Media LLC)
  • “Immersion”, Aliette de Bodard (Clarkesworld, June 2012)
  • “Mantis Wives”, Kij Johnson (Clarkesworld, August 2012)

I am so glad to see that Redshirts won. It's a great read.

I enjoyed Redshirts too, a little more emotional than I had expected. Funny stuff in places. However I hadn't read the others, and I suspect Bujold would have probably given Scalzi a run for his money. I need to get my hands on that Bujold.

The Redshirts is the only one on the list I have read. I liked it quite a bit but I loved Star trek, I am glad it won too :)

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas, John Scalzi

Weird, just had a look at it on Amazon, many of the reviews prior to it winning were not great, citing lack of character development and the fact that it is short story / novella that just didn't have enough story to be a novel. Post winning they are suddenly all glowing. Um ... so did it magically change because it won?

Won't be surprised if it did. Validation, and all that. :)

There are several epilogue stories in the book after the main plotline finished. Each of these stories centre around one of the many minor characters that appear in the main plotline. The book would lose a star off the rating at least if it weren't for these epilogues.

Back