• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

2nd draft = 1st draft - 10%

eyez0nme

What are your thoughts on this? This is something Stephen King was told by and editor when he was first starting out.

Basically that the 2nd draft of writing (namely, a novel) should be the 1st draft minus 10%.

Effect? Good advice?

Broadly agree, yes.

However some people (like me) tend to under-write as much as they over-write. In that while some bits are long-winded and waffly in the first draft, other bits are rushed. So I have to expand in subsequent drafts just as much as I have to cut. In fact that makes my second (or thirteenth) drafts often a bit longer than my first drafts. But longer in better areas, one hopes.

Aside: have just started reading Stephen King's 'On Writing' and finding it very hard to put down. The man is a genius. Warped and twisted, yes, but a genius.

agree with greenknight..in my first drafts, the content is usually a bit to the point (novel chapters i must say, cos there is no one work, a novel, that i have completed.. have just begun it). the sentences themselves may be long winded but the matter of it is to the point and is not elaborate. only when i revisit it, do i elaborate and sometimes add chunkfuls..digressions basically (meaningful or not, am yet to know!)

that said, i do edit long winded sentences considerably in the second draft or during the revisiting session. this cutting down does account easily, for a ten percent of the writing.

I over-write a bit, but King overwrites massively. He does it well, I suppose, but you still wait for him to get to the point a lot. That's probably why the editor told him that.

GreenKnight--thanks, I was thinking about picking that up but have refrained from doing so as of yet. Since you like it, I'm a bit more inclined to try it.

Back