• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

5 Reasons Why E-Books Aren’t There Yet

Thanks pontalba: Just looked at my USB location and there are two ports - maybe the other port would have worked but I think I would go for a Kindle if I decided to go ahead. Had a horrendous evening as our cable company, which has gone digital, came and installed digital boxes on our three tv's. It was two hours and several calls to the cable company who walked us through the various buttons but not before we were at the tearing the hair out stage before we got them all working. So technical whizzes we aint. Have now turned the tv off as the Vancouver Canucks are 4 goals down against Boston, need some quiet time before going to bed. Thanks for the Kindle information I'm leaning towards getting one and then I can have a meltdown again trying to get it to work. Keeps life interesting! momac :rolleyes:

According to Amazon the your ebooks are kept in an archive or file thingy at Amazon, and your books are always accessible to you, even should your Kindle be lost, stolen or drowned. Wouldn't that apply to new and updated Kindles [hardware]?

I have a few books that are 140+ years old. I doubt Amazon is going to keep our books that long. I'd be surprised if I could still access my ebooks from them in 20 years.

Well, I'm glad that I have my e-Reader. I currently don't have easy access to a book of mine that's been selected for an online discussion. However, I do have a digital copy on my e-Reader so the day is saved. But my Libre needs charged...

Alix, I'm a writer,(Roswell One The Final Contact,) and (The Devils Bible The Lost Tablets,) and I can tell you my books sell three to one on e-books. It's about a split between Kindle and the Barnes and Nobel. I use the Kinkle because I can down load it in bed with out going to the computer. That's good late at night when your looking for something to read. Just load up a free chapter and see if you like it.
Grady Bryant

It isn’t always that way with tech: We rejoice at cutting the phone cord, we don’t fret that texting causes lousy penmanship and we are ecstatic that our computers, tablets and phones are replacing the TV set.

Not the best examples in my opinion.

E-books can’t be shared, donated to your local library shelter, or re-sold. But because they aren’t social, even in the limited way that requires some degree of human contact in the physical world, they will also never be an extension of your personality.

So then does interaction on this forum not qualify as social?

Many e-books are free and if they're published under a Creative Commons license they can be shared, that's the whole point. This ability to be copied and distributed also makes them very much social. A copied e-book is probably often attained with at least an implicit endorsement that the book is worthwhile and if not, well - it's free.

I do agree e-books could be improved, but leaps forward in technology are not always entirely positive. More often they are a trade-off and one that comes with greater convenience.

I've read two ebooks on my ipad, to me it's much the same as the real thing. I am looking forward to reading interactive books when they become more available - I think these are going to dramatically change the way we read.

I was working at the US embassy in Libya. And then everything went to hell. At a moments notice we had to evacuate. We could only take what we could fit in a suitcase. We had to leave everything behind: cars, the bulk of our clothes, dishes, the kids toys, paintings. I would have had to leave my entire book collection behind as well, except that back in 2008 I spent over $400 on the 1st generation Kindle.

And it is the exact same one I still use. It is sitting here right next to me with my entire book collection on it. When I evacuated I simply dropped it into my backpack. And even if I had lost the Kindle all my books were still backed up online.

I am glad I gave up the dead tree books when I did. I will never go back to them.

Back