• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

50 Shades of Grey

Do you think women who read this book will be given the wrong messages on what a casu

• Yes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was actually you who assumed that I thought it was only women who are weak-minded. I believe that both men and women can be weak-minded under different influences, but I am wondering if 50 shades of Grey might be one of them for women.

No, not misogynist at all. Another way I could also put it is that right-minded women would not expect more than sex out of a casual relationship and weak-minded men might do.

Thus implying that women who are not quite as right-minded (whatever that is in your world) than other women (or men, excluding those who are not quite right in the head and susceptible to these things), might expect more out of casual sex than a right-minded woman would.

I came to the conclusion that the question of this poll is redundant seeing as you had already come to the conclusion that people, regardless of their sex, would only be influenced by novels such as Fifty Shades of Grey if they were not quite so strong willed.

I understand how you are only enquiring about the female mind - one does not always need or want to know everything - it just seems that you have already answered your own question.

It seems interesting that Prong91 seems to assume that strong-minded people will desire casual sex while weak-minded people will desire relationships.

I watched Top Gear yesterday and the Top Gear Challenge was a race from Wembley Stadium to the San Siro Stadium in Milan, Jeremy Clarkson was given an audio copy of Fifty Shades of Grey to help him pass the time behind the wheel.

Wow Talk about coming late to the party!

I guess I should have found this website earlier :shifty:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the 50 Shades Series, in fact I'll go as far and say they improved my life dramatically. :love: These books opened up a whole new reading genre for me and I found myself looking for other similar themed books.
Though I am in a stable (not casual) relationship I found these books improved my own situation. I think if people are mature enough and open minded enough to view these books without judgement then there's nothing wrong with it.

Granted it's not for everyone, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

That's my ten bucks worth.:star4:

I guess I should have found this website earlier :shifty:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the 50 Shades Series, in fact I'll go as far and say they improved my life dramatically. :love: These books opened up a whole new reading genre for me and I found myself looking for other similar themed books.
Though I am in a stable (not casual) relationship I found these books improved my own situation. I think if people are mature enough and open minded enough to view these books without judgement then there's nothing wrong with it.

That's my ten bucks worth.:star4:

I'm with you. I don't think anyone is reading these books for relationship advice or guidance, they are more for entertainment and fantasy. I can't speak for everyone that's read them but most of my personal friends that read them are already in a relationship and none of their partners are complaining.

I can't speak for everyone that's read them but most of my personal friends that read them are already in a relationship and none of their partners are complaining.

It is good to read posts that express independent opinions and shed a positive light. As expressed above, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I give more weight to opinions that is formed by having read the book. I've read far too many extremely negative ones, in many places, many by people that have not even read the books.

I read the books and loved them, it's a bit slow in places but still a good read. Most of my friends have a negative opinion of 50 shades and only one of them has actually read them.
We constantly battle it out, but I stand by my words. :)

It's not a topic that is sociably accepted, in real life. Fantasy is just that, you decide whether or not you want to enact the fantasy. There's nothing wrong with how you feel, it's your choice. Who cares what other people think or do - lose control every now and then, the only person who should judge you is yourself.

Those who know....do.
Those who don't ....won't. :)

That these books should be best sellers is on one level incomprehensible to me, although it should give every writer of horrible fan fiction on the internet (which is where these books originated) hope that their 'masterpiece' will one day rise to giddy heights of publishing fame and at the same time a horrifying social comment on how low our tastes have fallen in what constitutes 'good literature'.

I have not bought, nor read these books, reading an excerpt was enough for me. They are badly written, fantasize about sexual behaviour that is abusive no matter how much both parties claim to 'agree' to it. You can't abuse and dominate a person with a healthy self image, you can only do it to a person who is already damaged in some way and who finds 'acceptance' or 'love' in being hurt and abused. Just as the abuser is also damaged in a way that makes them find 'fulfilment' in inflicting the abuse. (I use apostrophe's as I do not believe that these people are happy, loved or fulfilled, no matter what they claim!) And in a naive 'romantic' novel happy end way totally negate all wisdom about the nature of abusive relationships. They do not end in 'happily ever after'.

I have not seen any reviews or opinions of 50 Shades calling it "good literature", and obviously it isn't. For some it has to be a guilty pleasure, some are simply curious and some, like myself want to read it for the real story underneath.

As mentioned elsewhere, possibly in this thread, I've spoken of reading all three, and a certain amount of enjoyment in same. I am not disputing the low level of quality of the writing itself, but I think a lot of it, such as the repetitions, are deliberate, and are an attempt to bring out the youth and innocence of one of the characters. I found it to be a story of redemption. If one has read the books the reader would see that the S&M aspect is way overblown by "press".

When I was young, I looked at people and saw what they should have been. I suppose I still do the same with books.

And yes, there is a happy ending for this particular couple. Not without struggles and many setbacks, but a happy ending all the same.

hmm the bit I read wasn't 'overblown' it was pretty hardcore for mainstream literature. And while you may call them escapist - the people who turned them into a best seller must have considered them 'good' to have recommended them so much... and they have been turned into a movie ... another indication of a popular notion of 'good'.

should be / could be/ would be doesn't change what is.

hmm the bit I read wasn't 'overblown' it was pretty hardcore for mainstream literature. And while you may call them escapist - the people who turned them into a best seller must have considered them 'good' to have recommended them so much... and they have been turned into a movie ... another indication of a popular notion of 'good'.
There were only one or two that were over the top.
As to the popular notion of good.....I'd have to say meh. :)

I think there is a separate Grey thread around here someplace (not merged with this one, I don't think) which might be of interest to participants here -- rather different focus, but covering some of the same topics.

But this is the lively sort of actual discussion which has been missing from BOTM for a while here. Think I'll nominate it and see what happens. :devil:

Back