• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A better automatic translator

kowalskil

Those interested in automatic translators will probably find this article useful:

How Google Translate works - Features, Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

It is about how Google Translate works, and why it usually outperforms other automatic translators. To verify this claim, I translated a piece from English to Russian. The result was not perfect but it was very good. Here is what to do:

1) Go to http://translate.google.com/
2) Specify languages, for example, English --> Russian
3) Paste (or type) the text to be translated.
4) Click on the “translate” button

The translated text will appear at once. You can just read it or cut-and-paste it into another document.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

Thanks for the article. I have long been interested in computers and artificial intelligence.
In machine translation, it seems that translations continually improve but the human comments never change.
Perhaps it would be fun to hear humans and GoogleTranslate hurling insults at each another. In several languages, no less! :D
It could be a fun variant of the Turing test -- can a human think of an insult that has not been uttered before and can't be found by GoogleTranslate?
But, enough!

Perhaps it would be fun to hear humans and GoogleTranslate hurling insults at each another. In several languages, no less! :D
It could be a fun variant of the Turing test -- can a human think of an insult that has not been uttered before and can't be found by GoogleTranslate?
But, enough!

:rofl:

Oh, now that would be fun! :cool: Imagination run amok!

Thanks for the article. I have long been interested in computers and artificial intelligence.
In machine translation, it seems that translations continually improve but the human comments never change.
But, enough!

It's been done already but I can't find the link.

That wasn't it. Still cool though. Also interesting to learn about the translate API. I need to look into that more.

Looks like if I went to Portugal or Brazil armed with Google Translate, they would know what I want.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_bar_translation.png

Back