• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Cold Dark Place - Chapter Two

Cody Craig

CHAPTER TWO

What a shocking night to be out and about, thought Edward. This wind is driving right through my coat.

Edward's skin was a crawl with goose bumps. He shivered as he shut the door to Valentino's behind Bernadette. He had enjoyed his meal immensely, but he couldn't wait to get home and out of this unseasonal weather.
He turned and faced Bernadette, he saw how the wind had picked up her long blonde hair and was fiercely tossing it around. "Wait here, I'll go and fetch the car."

Edward stepped away from the cover of the building, fine rain swirled about him. The car was parked on the other side of the road, some two blocks away. He wished that he had parked it closer, but he recalled how Bernadette had insisted that they park away from the restaurant. She had said, "The walk after dinner will do us good."

A lot of good it will do if I'm cooped up in bed with pneumonia for the next couple of weeks, thought Edward as he took a step off the curb. The bitumen was wet and the way that the lights from the surrounding buildings were reflecting on its slick surface, it looked very slippery. He trod carefully in his brown leather Gucci lace ups, not wanting to slip and break his neck.
Edward stuck his head down to shield his eyes from the swirling rain, he strode out onto the road. Over the pitter-pat of the rain drumming on his coat and the howling of the wind as it churned its way through the monolithic concrete and glass buildings, he heard the thunderous roar of a car engine. Halting he lifted his head and looked towards the noise. Dual beams of bright light were bearing down on him. He froze in much the same fashion as a deer freezes in the headlights of a fast approaching car.
He'll stop, thought Edward.

Maybe he hasn't seen me yet.

He'll swerve any minute now.

A blast of excruciatingly immense pain shot through his entire body as his legs were shot out from underneath him. The crunch of his knees snapping sideways across the bumper bar sent a shockwave up his spine. His shoulder rammed the windscreen at the same time that his head slammed into the roof above it. Then he saw the car disappear from underneath him. Momentarily he felt like he was flying, twisting and somersaulting through the air. Then he dropped and collided with the hard bitumen of the road.

As Edward's knees were being viciously snapped sideways by the impact, Edward had for a split second, glimpsed the face of the driver. A face that was blurred by the cascade of rain drops that rushed down the windshield, a distorted face that was glowing green from the illumination of the dashboard. Even so the face seemed familiar.

Edward had never felt so much pain in his whole life, it felt like every bone in his body had been brutally snapped. Edward went to sit up, but he had no response from his demolished body.

My god, I'm paralysed.

A strange sensation swept over him, it felt like something was sucking the life force out of him. The aches and pains were suddenly gone, sucked away with his life force. Then his body was numb, he had no feeling whatsoever in his whole body. He felt separated from his body, removed from it, somewhat euphoric, but tremendously scared.

Had he died?

Was this what it felt like to be dead?

I can't be dead; I can still see what's going on around me.

Maybe dead people can see?

Edward had read plenty of articles on near death experiences, and recalled how a lot of the people had experienced a sensation of leaving their bodies. Hovering above their corpses and being tethered to them by some sort of lanyard.

But this wasn't like that, he hadn't left his body. As far as he was concerned he was still inside it. Looking out through his own two eyes. Then he saw Bernadette, hovering above him. Standing there staring, her deep blue eyes gazing at him, examining him.

Why isn't she saying anything?

Why isn't she crying?

Why isn't she doing something to help me?

Then he saw her crouch next to him, a sense of relief punched into him. He saw her hand shoot across his face and towards his neck. Expecting to feel the warmth of her touch, he was somewhat shocked and disappointed when he felt nothing. After a while she stood and started to blubber, crying and sobbing. Edward watched as tears rolled down her cheeks.

She must've been in shock.

But he saw no grief or sorrow in her eyes. It was if her tears were an act, concocted to fool somebody. But Edward couldn't see anyone else about, so he thought the tears must've been real and for him.

A few minutes later flashing blue and red lights were bouncing off of the buildings above him. He watched as a crowd of people gathered around. A couple of paramedics approached, squatted next to him and started to shake their heads. Their mouths were moving but he couldn't hear anything that they were saying. It was at that time that Edward realised that he had been in a silent world since being hit by the car.

Edward tried to yell out to them but he had also lost the use of his voice. He tried again but to no avail.

Totally silent and unable to communicate with anyone.

Come on guys, do something. I'm still alive in here.

The screaming and yelling in his mind was futile, he had been secluded from the land of the living. Plunged into a world without sound, without feeling, all he had was sight. It was like he was a bystander, able to watch the world go by but unable to do anything that could alter the course of history. He was trapped in his own silent movie, but this was in vivid color.

There has to be a way for me to communicate with them.

They walked off and returned a few minutes later with a big black bag. Edward immediately recognised it as a body bag.

He yelled and screamed as he watched the two men wrestle his body into the black plastic bag, but still no sound came out of his mouth. Then he saw its zipper shut over his face.

It was dark.

Why hadn't they seen that I was still alive?

The guys at the morgue were sure to figure out that I'm not dead.

Can you breathe in these bags?

I noticed this before, but did not mention because of a lot of reasons. Still, just to say that you were warned: thoughts are identified by italics. Some put them in double quotes, as if spoken. Some use single quotes. The point is however that you should do SOMETHING to indicate that are not regular narration (as stated, modern style uses italics).

Do you use a word processor? You should.

1) 'Edward's skin was a crawl with goose bumps.' I understand what you are saying, but 'a crawl' is colloquial in speech. Narrators, unless you make it a point to identify the one speaking, should not be noticeable.

2) 'He turned and faced Bernadette, he saw how the wind had picked up her long blonde hair and was fiercely tossing it around. "Wait here, I'll go and fetch the car." First, that is two sentences, so should use a semi-colon. Second, you probably should make a paragraph about how her looks affect him (bring out some emotion), and have him speak in the next line after the paragraph.

3) Uh, you really are bad about sticking two sentences together. You do it some more. Learn to catch this.

Okay, I guess this is supposed to be a ghost story.

The thing is, this person probably wrote this on word processor, with italics and all, and pasted it here. In which case the italics wouldn't be in effect automatically as you have to do them yourself. Same with indents, bold, underlines, font, sizes ...

You catch my drift?

Back