• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A community story

canuck

Has this been tried before? The idea is that each person contributes to an ongoing story, you can take it in any direction you like but try to make it into a readable form, mysterious, funny, romantic, or whatever. I'll start unless there is some objection.

Eva was waiting at the bus stop with other travellers for the 8:14 a.m. ride to downtown when she happened to glance down to her left and noticed that the lady next to her was wearing two unmatched shoes. She wondered if the lady didn't realize this and wanting to save her from some embarrassment when she reached her destination she tapped her on the shoulder and said,

"Excuse me, I hope you don't mind me telling you this but you have two odd shoes on."

The lady smiled kindly and said,

"This is Tuesday isn't it",

"Yes it is", replied Eva...........

......next person to continue

She didn’t understand what the lady meant but she couldn’t wait for an explanation. She left the bus, still puzzling over the woman’s reply and walked bang into someone. With a hasty apology, she stepped back, as did the girl she had collided with.

The girl was about ten, wearing a cotton dress and sneakers. Eva had not seen the girl before but she looked familiar.

“Sorry,” Eva said, not able to look away because she had a nagging feeling that she should know this girl. It was absurd because she did not know any ten year old. She took in the girl’s smiling face, her curly hair in pigtails, her mismatched socks….

“Your socks…”

“You know its Tuesday,” said the girl, shaking her head as one would at an absent minded child.

With a kindly smile, an indulgent shake of her head and a wave, the girl walked away, leaving Eva with the realization that the girl was a spitting image of the woman on the bus.

Please continue.....

She didn’t understand what the lady meant but she couldn’t wait for an explanation. She left the bus, still puzzling over the woman’s reply and walked bang into someone. With a hasty apology, she stepped back, as did the girl she had collided with.

The girl was about ten, wearing a cotton dress and sneakers. Eva had not seen the girl before but she looked familiar.

“Sorry,” Eva said, not able to look away because she had a nagging feeling that she should know this girl. It was absurd because she did not know any ten year old. She took in the girl’s smiling face, her curly hair in pigtails, her mismatched socks….

“Your socks…”

“You know its Tuesday,” said the girl, shaking her head as one would at an absent minded child.

With a kindly smile, an indulgent shake of her head and a wave, the girl walked away, leaving Eva with the realization that the girl was a spitting image of the woman on the bus.

Please continue.....

By this time Eva was really puzzled but as she was supposed to be at her desk in ten minutes she shook her head and hurried towards the office building and up to the third floor where she worked as a legal assistant.

As usual no one had made any fresh coffee so after hanging up her coat she got busy filling the machine with water and putting coffee in the filter. With the coffee started she went to her desk and turned on her computer.

She sat down and waited for the machine to boot up. There was a pile of files on her desk and a dictation tape sitting on top so she fed the tape into her outdated dictaphone and opened the first file. Just then her computer screen background lit up and instead of the usual summer flower display there was a happy face grinning at her with the words "Hello Eva, you know it's Tuesday, don't you?"

please continue......

Eva spun away from the computer screen and hurriedly stood up. June, the other assistant came in. As she was late, she just called out a greeting to Eva without looking at her. She went to her computer and switched it on.

Eva watched, dry mouthed, for the monitor to come alive. After two long minutes, during which Eva heard her own heart beat as Tues/day Tues/day Tues/day, June’s monitor lit up with the usual display of flowers and the firm’s welcome message.

Eva stood behind June and stared at the computer screen.

“Hey, are you alright?”June asked, looking up at her.

“Yes..yes, I’m fine.”

June was not convinced. She pushed Eva into a chair, got her a glass of water and a cup of coffee.

“I’m fine,” Eva said, going back to her table.

“You look rattled. Is it ….Dave?”

“No. I haven’t heard from him for over six months. June, is there something significant about today or about Tuesdays?”

Please contine

Back