• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A few questions about writing

Xeon

Hi all,

After almost half a year from picking up a pen, I've decided to start writing again.
I'm intending to self-publish a book this time and hire an editor to edit the book for me, mainly because while I've lots of creative ideas and plots, my English, although slightly better than the man on the street, is not good enough to write an error-free book. :)

I've a few questions before getting started, though.
For a start, I'm more into the fantasy and science fiction kind of genre.

1) Regarding character development, how do you guys go about doing it?
I've discovered that it's very difficult to express individualistic personality in each of my characters, and that's why, at the end, they all sound like they're talking like the main character/hero. And that's very bad and hopeless.

Do you guys draw out the characters on large white papers and sketch out their personalities? Because in a dialogue, for example, the tone style and speech of my characters always sound the same, even though one may be a greedy pig and the other a helpful soul. :rolleyes:

2) Are there any good books to read before writing fantasy themes?
I mean, should I read a few fantasy novels before even starting?
I've the basic plots and ideas already, though.

Thanks all! :)
Xeon.

Hi, xeon! We have some excellent writers here who will be able to answer your questions for you. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.

Are you new here? If so -- welcome!

And, stick around. You will be glad you did. :)

I just pick up a pen and see where it takes me. No planned character development. No outline. Many notes, but not a system, by any means.

Definitely read a lot of fantasy if that is what you intend to write. Read anything and everything worth reading to better your writing.

personally i would disagree with sirmyk - imo it's better to have a step-outline. i never get anywhere without plotting. but then it all depends on how long you've been writing, i suppose.
Characters - try basing them on people you know. If it's a nasty character, choose someone you don't like...
And read like crazy - you can't write without reading.

There is no right or wrong... everyone has their own approach.

I, like SirMyk, just start writing and see what happens. I don't use notes, though. I just start typing.

I do find that I naturally tend to create characters who remind me of a person or people from my past. Their personalities develop themselves from this.

Often I place myself as the main character either as I see me, or as I would like to be.

I found On Writing by Stephen King to be very helpful. It has nothing to do with the Horror genre, but everything to do with how a very successful and prolific author goes about his craft.

Definitely read what you intend to write.

Good luck!

I used to write without plotting, but now I plot. By plotting I can roughly work out what happens in each chapter (I can change the story as I go along though if something crops up that I hadn't thought about in the initial stages, so it's not fixed in stone). By plotting, I know if I've got enough ideas to pad out a complete novel. It also stops me from getting to a stage where I don't know what happens next, because I only have to look at my notes to remind myself.

I find that if I outline first, my writing becomes formulaic (sp? / even a word?)... sort of like I'm a little kid trying to stay within the lines with a crayon and a coloring book.

sirmyk said:
I find that if I outline first, my writing becomes formulaic (sp? / even a word?)... sort of like I'm a little kid trying to stay within the lines with a crayon and a coloring book.

Yeah, I don't like too much structure, either.

The price I pay for that is sometimes painting myself into a corner, or running into a wall.

Then I just put it aside, start something else, and come back to it later.

Xeon said:
Hi all,

1) Regarding character development, how do you guys go about doing it?
I've discovered that it's very difficult to express individualistic personality in each of my characters, and that's why, at the end, they all sound like they're talking like the main character/hero. And that's very bad and hopeless.

The more literary types here might roll their eyes over this, but IMO The Simpsons is an excellent example of characters that all talk different. Shakespeare is pretty good too;) (Even though I don't understand many of the archaic words, I can easily tell that some characters are much more verbose than others, some more formal etc.)

There's a huge list of things that change in the way people speak: use of profanity, grammar, use of buzz words, degree of frankness, use of slang, formal or informal, accents etc. Other than accent, Homer and Marge are different in every category. Bart and Lisa too. Apu, Mayor Quimby, and Bumble Bee Man all have different accents.

Also, you're probably not writing with enough detail. If all your characters drive "cars" they'll seem the same. If one drives a "brand new pimped out gold Hummer" and the other drives "a black, rusty 92 Chevy Cavalier" readers will begin to picture different characters.

RE: plotting

Chili Palmer is my guru:

“I wait for characters to show up, ones I can use.” he says. Then, wait to see what they do. “You have to be patient. You have to let it happen. Not making anybody do anything they don't want to."

for character development I think many times about it, before I actually write it down. it makes me come to terms with my decision after I analyze all the aspects.

I usually have the basics of a novel framed in my head prior to writing, but the framework usually gets reconstructed on its own as the novel develops.

Back