• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A grown man.

manuscriptx

There's a little blue in everyone's life. The eye opening; and the sun's wonderful light reaching the cornea, past the tulips and into the brain.

more of a thought than a story

the one sentence tries to describe three things;
-what a grown man is supposed to be ( maturation )
-a beautiful sunny morning

-light that goes from the eyeball to the brain

Huh. I guess I’m not that literary. I have seen representations like this before, and they just don’t jive with me.

Let me try:

The rusted pot fell, slowly, into the mire; car horns.

If you read closely, this is the tale of a young fella named Wayne who was born in the country to his loving parents, Ethyl and George.

Wayne loved his life: he had a lot of good friends, he was somewhat of a local hero with his karaoke voice, and he knew how to treat a woman.

Wayne was the man.

Over time, though, Wayne began to grow stars in his eyes. He made the fateful decision one Monday to leave his hometown of Simple, Alabama. He mapped everything out closely and, if he maintained 60 mph and slept regularly, he’d be in Hollywood by Thursday, easy.

The road trip went fine and he secured a small apartment in downtown Los Angeles, only a few short miles from the place where dreams come true. He liked his new life and all the interesting culture, but he dearly missed Simple.

The hustle and bustle of the city was getting to him and, as it turned out, he didn’t sing nearly as well as he sounded to himself in the shower. Wayne wasn’t going to make it.

Confused, scared, angry, and alone, he let the life run out of his wrists one night in his tiny bathtub, Rod Stewart playing on his dime-store stereo.

Not bad, eh?

think " picturesque "

Are you a writer or a realist?

Realists write what they see. Writers write.

I'll let you figure that one out.

There's a little blue in everyone's life. The eye opening; and the sun's wonderful light reaching the cornea, past the tulips and into the brain.

I'm getting to like a haiku-like form for expressing thoughts and images so, hoping you don't mind too much, here is how I hear it:

There's a little blue
in everyone's life
Eye opening
sun's wonderful light
reaching the cornea
past the tulips
into the brain.

That reads more meaningfully to me. The absence of distracting connectives allows more freedom to the reader in putting together a poetic sense and meaning.
Upon rereading, it doesn't sound so strange at all and I like it.

Back