• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Plea for Identification Help from a Befuddled Librarian

aikenhead

I’m a librarian who had a patron ask for help identifying a particular novel based on fairly scanty information. I have ransacked my memory and googled like mad and have not found what it was. I was hoping that someone who spends more time reading mysteries/suspense might have a better idea. Would you be willing to give the details a read and tell me if any titles come to mind?

The patron told me that the book was probably from the last 5 or so years. It takes place in the US South, probably the Gulf Coast. The main character is an ex-military man who goes undercover in a prison. The scenes inside the prison involve a great deal of mistreatment of the inmates. The main character and one other character escape. The surrounding swamp figures prominently in the escape.

It sounds like bits and pieces of several Lee Child books, but none of them were quite right.

Thanks!

I wish I could help, it is tantalizingly familiar, but not from a book. It seems to me I've seen it in a film.

Have you investigated any of the Dave Robicheaux stories by James Lee Burke? That series takes place down here on the Gulf Coast, for the most part.

There's one called Deadlock by Sean Black, it involves an ex-military man going undercover in a prison but I don't know if the rest of the details match up because I gave up reading it after a few pages.

Back