• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Quiz With A Twist - What Book Is This ?

DATo

See if you can guess the book I am describing. Please take the time to read all ten points before going to the bottom of the post for the answer.

1) A young boy (the main character, whose name is in the title of the book) is endowed with special gifts and has a very special and important destiny.

2) When the book opens he is living with a family under unusual circumstances and in this family there is another boy who treats him very badly.

3) He is willingly taken, contrary to the wishes of his guardians, to a special (and very unusual) school to develop his very special (and very unusual) abilities, and at this school other children who also have special attributes and abilities are also enrolled.

4) Another male member in his family's past was also part of this program before the events of the book take place and had a very high achievement record.

5) He thinks of his parents and is very sad until he befriends two other children at the "school" - a boy and a girl.

6) Of the two new friends the girl appears to have a very high aptitude for some of the things taught at the school.

7) The children are separated into groups by the administrators of the school. One of the other groups, motivated by their leader, mistreat the main character and hold him in disdain and contempt. The main character does not want to be associated with this group.

8) The main character takes part in a competition sanctioned by the school in which two teams of competitors must fly through the air to accomplish a special task. The main character soon becomes a legendary player and is regarded as the best to have ever competed.

9) It is hard to determine if one of the main character's adult overseers is actually a friend or a villain.

10) The adults at the school are aware that the main character is the only hope to defeat an upcoming, evil menace which threatens the world, and they monitor his progress carefully.

Do you think you know the name of this book ?

The name of the book is Ender's Game and it was published by Orson Scott Card in 1985. Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling wasn't published till 1997 - TWELVE YEARS LATER.

Last edited:
One protagonist unwittingly committed the Genocide/Xenocide of an entire race and when the protagonist learned the truth of what he had done, the realization drove him insane and he carried the guilt of his deed for over 3000 years.

The other protagonist vanquished an acknowledged evil and lived happily ever after with the girl he befriended in school.

Wow. That is pretty crazy. I wonder if JK is a fan of OSC or if it could possibly be entirely coincidence?

Thank you for the "like" SuperReaderGirl!

Personally, I think it was more than just coincidence: there are too many similarities. It is my understanding that Rowling sued another author for "borrowing" from her work. Orsen Scott Card, commenting upon this said words to the effect that Rowling might be cited for the same accusation suggesting that Card did not think it was coincidence either *L*

What! Wow, I totally thought you were talking about Harry Potter. Definitely something to look into, though who knows. I certainly don't want to think she would plagiarize, but that is a lot of coincidence.

Regdog, I'm gonna give you a "thumbs up" and a "like" for being so perceptive. I posted this some time ago on another forum and it generated a lot of replies (all shock that it wasn't HP of course) but absolutely no one made the connection to Ender's Game. Nicely done!

Number 4, technically James Potter wasn't the high achiever. Lily was. James was relatively average, but was extraordinary when it came to his friendships and his deeds in the Order of the Phoenix, if my understand is correct.

To be fair, the post is intended to trick the reader, by providing very vague statements about Ender's Game. Most books are similar when you start to take away all the actual details. Ender's Game is about battle simulation, aliens, political turmoil, and world-ending events, and it happens to have a child heroine.

To be fair, the post is intended to trick the reader, by providing very vague statements about Ender's Game. Most books are similar when you start to take away all the actual details. Ender's Game is about battle simulation, aliens, political turmoil, and world-ending events, and it happens to have a child heroine.

"To be fair" ... the post provides literal (not vague) descriptions of facts pertaining to Ender's Game. I admit the whole point of the post is to be found in the twist but no trickery was employed as may be inferred by the fact that regdog arrived at the correct answer. "Most books" are NOT similar. Provide me with three others which contain all of the points mentioned in the original post.

P.S. : The child in Ender's Game is not a "hero(ine)" ... the child is male.

"To be fair" ... the post provides literal (not vague) descriptions of facts pertaining to Ender's Game. I admit the whole point of the post is to be found in the twist but no trickery was employed as may be inferred by the fact that regdog arrived at the correct answer. "Most books" are NOT similar. Provide me with three others which contain all of the points mentioned in the original post.

When taken out of their context and generalized, yes, most books are the same. That is the point I was trying to make, that it is an unfair comparison, because the points are really not in context.

Good read: http://io9.com/5683905/everything-harry-potters-been-accused-of-ripping-off

Back