• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything.

Hey watercrystal, you just did a watercrystal! :) Shame, was hoping to see what you thought. Anyhow, good to see you back after so long... even though they were just dots.

Anyway, I've got ASHONE sitting in my TBR pile, waiting it's turn...

ds

I was going to say the same thing, ds.

Watercrystal, what were you going to say!? Curious minds want to know. :) ;)

I've also got this book on my TBR pile. Looking forward to it.

ell

ds said:
Hey watercrystal, you just did a watercrystal! Shame, was hoping to see what you thought. Anyhow, good to see you back after so long... even though they were just dots.

Anyway, I've got ASHONE sitting in my TBR pile, waiting it's turn...

Ell said:
I was going to say the same thing, ds.

Watercrystal, what were you going to say!? Curious minds want to know. :) ;)

I've also got this book on by TBR pile. Looking forward to it.

ell

:D :D hehe. yah!... we can read together (i am trying to be the first of the 3 who will finish it :p )

PS: you made me be more convinced that the world is so beautiful. Maybe i don't have to be busy dying. :p oh, also, winter in Canada isn't that freezing.

Have a wonderful dddddddddaaaaayyyyyyyy...!

Waiting on "A Short History..."

I finished Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail" just yesterday. It was a wonderfully written, hilarious account of a journey along the Appalachian Trail. Bryson incorporated many interesting and scary stories about the state of the trail. He also included much of the history of the Appalacian Trail. I would recommend this book to anyone, espcially those interested in nature, hiking,, and history.

"A Short Story of Nearly Everything" and "Im a Stranger Here Myself" are on their way from BAMM.com as we speak.

swanson03 said:
I finished Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail" just yesterday. It was a wonderfully written, hilarious account of a journey along the Appalachian Trail. Bryson incorporated many interesting and scary stories about the state of the trail. He also included much of the history of the Appalacian Trail. I would recommend this book to anyone, espcially those interested in nature, hiking,, and history.

That was the first Bryson book I read. It is singularly responsible for my fear and trepidation of bears when I first came to Canada and found myself hiking around Banff and Jasper without any bear bells. I didn't eat Mars Bars for a month!

I just started this book and it is wonderful. His teasers are fantastic and already led me to buying a book about Isaac Newton.

As my 14 year old nephew would say, "Good times!"

I finished ASHONE today and really loved it. I'm a bit of a trivia fanatic, so obviously this was just the kind of book for me. I found the part about us levitating when we are sitting down to be extremely interesting, and after reading this book I finally understand why people don't age in a spaceship! I'll definitely be reading more Bryson in the future - and be recommending this book to everyone in the meantime :D

I haven't read this one MC but have read most of his others and they are really hilarious. He would be one of the few people who could make a walk in a wood truly funny. Try ' Down Under' for something close to home.:D

Poppy1 said:
I haven't read this one MC but have read most of his others and they are really hilarious. He would be one of the few people who could make a walk in a wood truly funny. Try ' Down Under' for something close to home.:D
Thanks for the suggestion - I will try and get my hands on that! He must be a fan of Down Under, because he made /a lot/ of references to NZ and Aussie in ASHONE

I don't think I've ever read any books by Bryson. Maybe I'll give one a try. Poppy, I love your avatar. MC, you're much cuter in real life.

StillILearn said:
I don't think I've ever read any books by Bryson. Maybe I'll give one a try. Poppy, I love your avatar. MC, you're much cuter in real life.

Thank you Still and yes she is, isn't she. That picture of her just doesn't do her justice :D

I've just started Short History a couple days ago. So far it's been entertaining and informative. Not sure I'm gonna last the whole thing though. I think my next non-fiction pick will be Guns Germ and Steel. That book has come up a few times lately including here. Kismet?

Finished last night. I liked it. First non-fiction I've read in ages so comparitively I have nothing to go on. There were a few things which Bryson claims we don't know why they are or why there the way we are that I feel we probably do and it was just easier for him to gloss over or too technical for the level of reader. The anecdotes were humourous and the information interesting. His use of The Economist as a source lost him some credibility with me. I've read a few of their articles regarding the IT industry and they were clueless. Doesn't mean they're all idiots there but I certainly don't have a high opinion of them. I would think an economy mag might not be the best place to get historical facts on the sciences. The only chapter I found particularly dry was on taxonomy. I'm thinking this book is a great base to many non-fiction books across a variety of topics. Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel and probably Sagan's popular science books.

Back