• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Song of Ice and Fire

I will post my thoughts.
I read a lot of Fantasy and I think this is one of the best that is currently being written. It has a lot to do with court intrigue and wars between kingdoms and families, less to do with some of the more fantastical elements. The fact that it is very different from the rest of the current crop of fantasies series going on today is what I enjoy about it. The characters are well written and thought out, and the storyline so far is VERY well written. I am not sure when it is going to be finished but I just wish he could get a move on. It is a great story that I wish I had not found until it was completed.

Mike

Sorry, I have a review on Amazon, no need to be redundant. But being the best series(currently) should compel you to read it anyway!

Thanks Mike, I've heard of this series and always wondered why people raved about it.

Kryptonite, I don't want to head over to amazon. Let's here your thoughts here, that's what this site is about ;) Post your reviews in our reviews library too.

I've read the first two and am reading the third now. They are different from any other series I've read. George R R Martin is quite willing to kill main characters seemigly out of the blue. He slaughters them left and right. I find it a bit off-putting, really. Things continualy go from bad to worse for our heroes. That makes it hard for me to push on. I will say they are very well written, imaginative, origional and amazing. I think they are worth the trouble to read.

Witch

Well, slaughtering them left and right is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's true that main characters die. Mike mentioned "court intrigue and wars," and people tend to die in wars, after all. It *can* take a little getting used to, being unsure about how attached you should let yourself get to a character, but if that isn't something that is too off-putting, then ASOIAF is a great series (so far).

It is different from the run-of-the-mill fantasy in another way, also. The fantasy "magic" elements are subtler than you usually find-- there are no unicorns, no wizards handing out magic potions, or enchanted swords.

I hated giving up on it, but I did after about 600 pages in the first book. It was around then that I was beginning to question my willingness to trudge through another pedicted 6000 pages of the series.

I am a relatively slow reader, so I value what little reading time I have. I decided to sit back and wait for him to complete the series. So far the books have all had excellent reviews so I'm hoping this trend continues to the end. Then I'll start the series over.

Having said that, the first 600 pages were quite good. I just need that assurance that it's going to be worth continuing.

A great series, I've devoured each book with glee. Killing off main characters was a shock at first but this adds to the journey of discovery when reading the series,so fresh, a rare gem infact.

Added to the intrigues between the 2 families, plus the internal struggles that abound, you have shades of grey everywhere.

Time I re-read the series before the next release, sometime this year I think.

Back