• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Thousand and One Nights (The Arabian nights) - Which Version To Buy??

Scottishduffy

I have been searching Amazon to find a copy of A Thousand and One Nights (The Arabian nights) only to find that there are many different translations.

So, I start doing a bit of research to attempt to figure out which translation may be the most complete and the most accurate. I read quiye a few complaints regarding the Richard Burton translation. I am not sure which book to get. The Hussain Haddawy version seems good as does the E. Powys Mathers. Perhaps someone who has actually read these can point me in the proper direction? I am looking for a relatively complete collection with as accurate translation as is possible. :confused:

I've only read the 'Penguin Popular Classics' version which is translated by Sir Richard Burton.It doesn't contain the complete stories but it does contain some of the popular selection.So,if you cant find any complete one,this wont be a bad option.

Start with Haddawy. His translation is the richest, and also the least censored. His edition, however, includes only the first 271 nights. If you still want more when you've finished that, then you are difinitely hooked, and you will have to go for Burton's set, with a stop along the way for The Arabian Nights: A Companion, by Robert Irwin.

Back