• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Aarrgghh!! Part of my book is MISSING!!

Thanks, Herenya! :) Are these defective books valuable in any way, then?

I might try the library, but ours is so rubbish I very much doubt it will have the book.

Halo said:
Thanks, Herenya! :) Are these defective books valuable in any way, then?

I might try the library, but ours is so rubbish I very much doubt it will have the book.

I don't think so, because otherwise rubbish bin security would be tightened. What a pity... however, people do collect strange things, and it's a strange world, so I wouldn't give up hope.

I actually visited my nearest town with a WH Smiths today, but of course I had forgotten about exchanging that damn book so didn't have it with me. :rolleyes: They had one copy, which had all the pages. I considered standing there and just reading the 16 pages in the shop, but no, I want to read it at home, in comfort and at my leisure.

How about this for an idea, Halo:

Go into a bookstore and tell them that you were sent a copy of the book from a friend as a gift, but it's flawed. Tell them that you would rather deal with this yourself than involve the friend (as they live across the country, or wherever the book you got from eBay was purchased). Ask them what would be the best approach. This way you're not being nefarious in any way in pretending that the book was obtained from *their* store. Surely a bookseller would be able to provide you with appropriate contact details.

Another option is to make contact with the eBay seller, explain the problem and that you are sure the sale was in good faith and that you think no liability should rest with that person, but ask them where the book was purchased. If it was from WH Smith or another chain then at least you can offer this information to the store in your area. They may exchange a book bought at another of their outlets. The eBay seller may also be able to mail you a receipt if this is necessary - given that you're being very understanding of the problem and not blaming them for the flaw they are likely to be very helpful.

From what I recall you are one of those 'book buying' people who likes to keep books on their shelves rather than borrow from the library. On the basis of this presumption I can understand why you are looking for the complete book rather than just photocopy the missing pages.

Kookamoor said:
How about this for an idea, Halo:

Go into a bookstore and tell them that you were sent a copy of the book from a friend as a gift, but it's flawed. Tell them that you would rather deal with this yourself than involve the friend (as they live across the country, or wherever the book you got from eBay was purchased). Ask them what would be the best approach. This way you're not being nefarious in any way in pretending that the book was obtained from *their* store. Surely a bookseller would be able to provide you with appropriate contact details.

Nice, honest idea. :)

Kookamoor said:
Another option is to make contact with the eBay seller, explain the problem and that you are sure the sale was in good faith and that you think no liability should rest with that person, but ask them where the book was purchased. If it was from WH Smith or another chain then at least you can offer this information to the store in your area. They may exchange a book bought at another of their outlets. The eBay seller may also be able to mail you a receipt if this is necessary - given that you're being very understanding of the problem and not blaming them for the flaw they are likely to be very helpful.

Yes, I have considered this. Another good idea, but it might be easier just to take the book to my nearest WHS/Waterstones and pretend I bought it there! :eek:

Kookamoor said:
From what I recall you are one of those 'book buying' people who likes to keep books on their shelves rather than borrow from the library.

You've got me weighed up perfectly, Kookamoor! :) I don't know why I'm being so indecisive, but I just can't decide what to do, for some reason! Keep the book in case it becomes valuable? Swap it? Just wait for the paperback, which I believe is out in July, so not too long to wait? :confused: Gah, my head hurts.

My dad asked in our local library today if they had The Dark Tower. The woman looked puzzled, then said, "Is she sure it's out yet?" Oh no, my own copy is obviously a hologram. :rolleyes: Since when did a complete lack of knowledge about books become a requirement for library work? It's a very popular author, surely she should know it's been out since last September? This is why I don't use my library and buy my own books.

froggerz40 said:
Halo, that must be EXTREMELY frustrating... You seem to have almost as bad of luck as I usually do!
As a last resort, maybe one of the forum members can scan you the missing pages...Then you could trim the scans, stuff 'em neatly in, where they belong. This way, your hardback volume will have personal value, it'll have been "patched" by a friend from somewhere else on the planet! :p

Think this is still a good idea, put out an SOS for a forum member who owns a copy to scan the missing pages and e-mail them to you.

Cabrasopa :cool:

OK, one SOS going out to forum Stephen King fans!

Would anyone who owns a complete copy of The Dark Tower be willing to scan pages 639 - 654 and e-mail them to me? I would be very, very grateful! Thank you! :)

Halo said:
OK, one SOS going out to forum Stephen King fans!

Would anyone who owns a complete copy of The Dark Tower be willing to scan pages 639 - 654 and e-mail them to me? I would be very, very grateful! Thank you! :)

Still no takers yet,

Sorry i'm not a Stephen King fan !!

Cabrasopa :cool:

Cheers, cabrasopa! But Good News today - the library rang back to say that they have got a copy from another branch! Hurrah! :D :D So what I will do is borrow that, read the missing bit and then buy a (hopefully) complete paperback copy to keep when it comes out.

This saga of the missing pages seems to have gone on almost as long as the quest for The Dark Tower. :rolleyes: Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions. :)

Back