• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

about an indian girl who was forced to marry a sickly boy

WoundedThorns

i read this one book for my book club in 7th grade. the actual shape of the book was pretty small and it was hardcover. it was probably less than 130 pages.
its about an indian girl who was poor, therefore she had to marry when she was 12 or 13 so her family would have one less mouth to feed. her family was tricked; her husband to be was very sickly and his family needed the money for a trip to some river that was supposed to cure him. she didn't see him until the wedding and her parents were furious that they were tricked. she still had to marry him and continued to live with his family. she was his wife and all, but she was basically just a burden to the family even tho she provided the money they wanted. her mother in law was especally evil. he ended up dying even though they made the journey. she had to wear a white shawl which basically scarred her and was afraid that she'd be abused by others. her mother in law didn't give two shits about her and left her in some crowded city. she eventually established some sort of life for herself in some shelter for women i think.

anyone regognize this? thank you

Back