• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I just discovered the Dresden Files. Absolutely terrific! As to Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Really? I just saw the movie trailer. The entire theater laughed--not in a good way, tho. Then as the movie --Dark Shadows --began, I saw Mr. Grahame-Green was the screenwriter. Does this guy sleep?

Vampire Novel

Even though I enjoyed the book, I'm not sure I'm sold on this type of writing. I've read three books by Matthew Pearl, but he writes novels about real people, like Charles Dickens, in a historical time frame. If Seth Grahame-Smith wrote about Dickens, it would probably be "Charles Dickens meets Frankenstein". I guess I'm a historical fiction fan without the fantasy/horror.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

LOL on the Grahame-Smith (did I type Green before? Geesh) But that guy is everywhere!!

I loved DROOD, the Dickens book by Pearl. I listened to it on audiotape and it was read with real dramatic flare. Sometimes the audio version can kill a book, but this time it enhanced it. Know of any more like that?

Let me recommend BOOK OF AIR AND SHADOWS. I can't recall the author, but google will help you out. Great book about a lost Shakespeare manuscripts, with a thriller pacing and twists and turns. I loved it.

To: Jillian76

Drood was written by Dan Simmons, the Pearl book that I was talking about is The Last Dickens. If you liked Drood, you will love Terror and Black Hills by Dan Simmons- highly rated books by me. The other Matthew Pearl books are: The Poe Shadow and The Dante Club. These are all exemplar historical fiction novels.
http://ricks reviews.blogspot.com

Have anyone seem the movie Abraham Lincoln,Vampire Hunter yet? It looks interesting from the trailer I saw.But I would like to hear those who have seem the movie, take on it.

Have anyone seem the movie Abraham Lincoln,Vampire Hunter yet? It looks interesting from the trailer I saw.But I would like to hear those who have seem the movie, take on it.

I've never read the book. I had low expectations for the movie but I was pretty impressed with it.

I didn't have high expectations for the book either but ended up liking it surprisingly well. It was well written, including lots of real facts about the historic Lincoln, and much less gory than I'd feared it would be.

I bought it initially because I wanted to see the movie who's got my absolute favourite actor in it, but I didn't get around to. It wasn't on for more than three or four weeks hereabouts.

Okay, I'm very much interested in reading this book and/or watching the movie, but I can't see how this is historical fiction. I have to admit though that all those Civil War photos taken by Matthew Brady (???) were somewhat dark and morbid-like.

It's a mix of historical fiction and fantasy/horror, and I think this is one example where the mash-up really worked well.

I'm halfway through the movie and am not yet too convinced because I find the story of how Lincoln came to be a vampire hunter a little "choppily" told. I'll reserve my final verdict until I have seen it all, though.

I don't think it does the movie justice to compare it to the book, especially the ending. That being said, I agree with your assessment.

I'm trying not to compare it to the book too much, as they had to make too many changes to render it film-able (e.g. distilling all those evil vampires into an über-evil vampire leader).

Back