• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

absorbing the arts

WebWalker

Don't want to appear boastful. Just the facts.

"Tuesday, February 12. It was cold in Los Angeles. We were working the day watch out of Robbery Division. My partner's ....... My name's Friday."

In my local library, in Ontario Canada, you check out books and cds for three weeks, and dvds for one week. Limit 50 total. There is a small 'Express' bookcase for the latest books, on a one week turnaround.

A few years ago I was on a tear. I took up an tall pile for checkout. The librarian nodding to my books, said 'that's impressive'. I hoisted the stack, made two overhead push ups and said I was in training as I was sure reading would become Olympic sport. She graciously laughed.

Now I'm back on a reading jag and who else can I brag to?

As of today, this year, 67 books (I've kept a spreadsheet since 98).

Not sure of the retention rate, but it's fun. And my wife supports my habit.

Summer's coming so I'll drop off. Hope to beat my 2003 mark of 125.

I also keep track of DVD movies through Collectorz, 65 this year. Watched 319 in 2008.

Isn't retirement great!

Don't want to appear boastful. Just the facts.

As of today, this year, 67 books (I've kept a spreadsheet since 98).

Not sure of the retention rate, but it's fun. And my wife supports my habit.

Summer's coming so I'll drop off. Hope to beat my 2003 mark of 125.

I also keep track of DVD movies through Collectorz, 65 this year. Watched 319 in 2008.

Isn't retirement great!

Can't compete on numbers -- about 50 - 60 a year here.

But isn't retirement great? You bet! :D

At my peak, I read a novel every 2 days. But this was usually during long vacations or when I had the time. It's a very frantic pace. I'm most efficient when I'm lying on my stomach on a cot with the book on the floor.

Usually, I read a novel once every month or two. It's a very slow pace. I guess I'm usually very fast or very slow, nothing in the middle. Right now, I'm very slow.

A few years ago I was on a tear. I took up an tall pile for checkout. The librarian nodding to my books, said 'that's impressive'. I hoisted the stack, made two overhead push ups and said I was in training as I was sure reading would become Olympic sport. She graciously laughed.

If reading ever becomes a sport I'll bet on you.

Spring has sprung so thoughts turn to .....
Book count is 81 this year so far. Hope to pick up the pace back up in the fall.
ps
I've told the wife the bedroom is the bedroom from 10pm till 8am
and the library for the rest.
(Movies/dvds - 89)

Back