• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Actors and a talent to speak

Churchill was a great speaker. And he must have been a great writer for the won the Nobel Prize in Literature...

~~Much sniggering~~

A prize for literature for a supposed work of non-fiction (History of the English Speaking Peoples)?

The Swedes gave him the prize out of embarrassment for not being on the 'right' side in WWII. ;)

Waveguide – as Bernard Shaw put it: "Two nations divided by a common tongue". Watch some English films and programmes if you want to enjoy English spoken in a non-Hollywood fashion. I'd heartily recommend the likes of Patrick Stewart, Alan Rickman, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Anthony Hopkins, Glenda Jackson, Robert Stephens, the recently deceased Paul Schofield (see the wonderful A Man for All Seasons), Michael Gambon, Alun Armstrong ...

And there are many, many more.

Generally, I can quite understand why many people look at actors when they're explaining their craft as thought they're frankly a bit dotty (you have to be a least slightly eccentric to step out on a stage). On Sunday, the other half was looking in exactly that way at David Suchet (there's another one for you, Waveguide), as he was explaining how he plays Poirot. Now I studied acting, so I know what actors are on about. But I'd still suggest that they shouldn't bother trying to explain it to the 'ordinary' viewer. :)

Back