• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Advertising Banners

Darren

I originally wanted to keep this site free from advertising, but unfortunately to get a quaity reliable service, you have to pay for it. A very good friend of mine once said that "you get what you pay for!" and recently that's been proven true.

I don't like too much advertising, but I need to place a little to try to generate some revenue to help to pay for all the new stuff. Hopefully it's not too intrusive, and will usually point to book-related sites, or other quality sites.

There will NEVER be any pop-up adverts or email spam from us :)

The newsletter is currently with Bravenet - hopefull they are not sending out spam to you. I have registered one of my own email addresses on the newsletter too and don't appear to be getting any spam from them. I may switch to a diffferent newsletter service when I get more time (if anyone can recommend a good quality one, or a good quality script then let me know).

Thanks.

Darren.

I agree.... tasteful ads can be tolerated, but not those pop-ups. I paid over at EZBoard to get rid of those darn pop-ups and that mass of garbage at the bottom!

Chris:rolleyes:

I can definitely say that I will NOT be using pop-up ads of any kind, ever. I can't stand them!

The only ads we will have are the banners at the top of the forum (as they are now), and perhaps a few smaller ones in the side columns of the main site pages.

The ads are a mix of services (such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble etc...) and book-related web sites (which we get due to the link exchange progs).

The services pay us on a per-item-ordered basis, ie if you click on the Amazon ad, and then buy a book from them, we get a small percentage commission. The only reason I've set them up is to help to pay the costs of quality web hosting.

The ads on the forum pages cycle randomly using a java-script. I've tried to make sure that the ads are book-related and are suitable for everyone.

I'm currently working on the links directory, and the ads in there are mainly other book web sites that we are in banner-exchange progs with to increase our traffic and exposure.

If anyone has any problems with the content of the ads, then please do email me.

Darren.

Darren,

Slow Down! :cool: You are too young to be working so hard! We are tough enough to survive a few ads........................as long as you chase the Pop-ups away! ;)

Now take a few deep breaths....................

Chris :)

Yep. Like I tell my own workaholic son...................it's a BAD habit. Try and learn to control it now before IT soon controls you!

Just a piece of friendly, motherly advice. :)

Chris

Hi Daren.

I haven't looked into the ads myself maybe in the future that might be something I will have to take into consideration as costs start to increase.

My question to you is, just how much can you make off of these ad's?? Do you not have to have a substantial amount of page hits in order to make any money off of these? We both have small forums at the moment, and I would thing that we would have to have at least 3 to four times the membership to actually make it worthwhile.

Love to hear any info on this.

Kindest Regards
Joe

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
I can definitely say that I will NOT be using pop-up ads of any kind, ever. I can't stand them!

The only ads we will have are the banners at the top of the forum (as they are now), and perhaps a few smaller ones in the side columns of the main site pages.

The ads are a mix of services (such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble etc...) and book-related web sites (which we get due to the link exchange progs).

The services pay us on a per-item-ordered basis, ie if you click on the Amazon ad, and then buy a book from them, we get a small percentage commission. The only reason I've set them up is to help to pay the costs of quality web hosting.

The ads on the forum pages cycle randomly using a java-script. I've tried to make sure that the ads are book-related and are suitable for everyone.

I'm currently working on the links directory, and the ads in there are mainly other book web sites that we are in banner-exchange progs with to increase our traffic and exposure.

If anyone has any problems with the content of the ads, then please do email me.

Darren.

Originally posted by Joe D
Hi Daren.

I haven't looked into the ads myself maybe in the future that might be something I will have to take into consideration as costs start to increase.

My question to you is, just how much can you make off of these ad's?? Do you not have to have a substantial amount of page hits in order to make any money off of these? We both have small forums at the moment, and I would thing that we would have to have at least 3 to four times the membership to actually make it worthwhile.

Love to hear any info on this.

Kindest Regards
Joe

Hi Joe!

It is not important to have many members, the quality of the members and the banners is important. I have 260 members in my forum right now, but sometimes only 10-20 hits per day.

If you have interested members (of course you will have to give them interesting content) and interesting banners, you will be able to earn a lot of money even if the number of members is low.

I would be very interested in reading about your exepriences in this matter.

/Holger

Originally posted by Holger

Hi Joe!

It is not important to have many members, the quality of the members and the banners is important. I have 260 members in my forum right now, but sometimes only 10-20 hits per day.

If you have interested members (of course you will have to give them interesting content) and interesting banners, you will be able to earn a lot of money even if the number of members is low.

I would be very interested in reading about your exepriences in this matter.

/Holger

Hi Holger

Thanks your help. I will keep the ads in mind for the future. It's not something I need to do at the moment.

Kind Regards
Joe

Back