• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Advertising for books

Sentinel

I just had an animated debate with my girlfriend, concerning the advertising (or better lack thereof) for books in Germany.

We just got back from our annual London-Trip (of course each brought back a mighty pile of books) and I really liked the many book-advertisements in the tube. Made me want to go and check out the books. Found them, ended up not buying them but they are on my list to watch for, so it worked.

Basically I think governments or cultural institutions complaining that "nobody reads anymore" and "the children get dumber and more illiterate by the year" should realize that the publishers in turn would be a lot better off advertising their products than just hoping that somebody might discover their title by chance.
Why is it (here) that a lot of (relatively cheap) advertising poster-space is dedicated to movies while not one publisher puts out an advertisement for one or more promising new titles...?!

How am I supposed to know a new book by [fill in any author] is to be out if I don't go searching on the net myself? As an avid readers there are too many authors on which I'd have to check constantly...

What's my gripe? Probably just that there's no book advertisements whatsoever in Germany. Thanks for your patience ;)

Perhaps they're advertising in the more focused (and cheaper) outlets, such as literary magazines or book reviews?

Most of the advertising for books here is in mags.

Back