• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Advice Needed

jbcohen

I would like to read some edge of your seat military fiction thriller novels. I would like to start with the Army, then go on to the Marines, Navy, Air Force. Can anyone point me towards an author who writes about the Army? The only authors that I know about are Keith Douglas (Navy) and David Poyer (Navy). Who writes about the army?

A quick search in NoveList turned up a few results:

The Advocate by Bill Mesce Jr.: "Searching for the truth behind the mysterious crash of an American P-47 Thunderbolt in 1943, Judge Advocate lawyer Harry Voss must weave through a world of secretive soldiers and powerful, political men who may kill to keep the truth hidden."

Traitor: a Novel by Ralph Peters: "While Congress debates the funding for a controversial and costly state-of-the-art jet fighter, a deadly terrorist bomb levels a French aircraft research facility, and Lieutenant Colonel John Reynolds finds himself caught up in a web of greed, honor, passion, and high-level intrigue."

Proud Legions by John Antal: "Lt. Col. Johnny Rodriguez's troopers are prepared for the challenge when North Korea decides to march south on Seoul, but the million-man army heading toward them leaves them facing overwhelming odds."

These novels are apart from Clancy's stuff, which, from what I hear, is more about counterterrorism than the army itself.

Where did this infromation come from? I prefer novels about the modern military. The Peters novel looks interesting. Can anyone make any more suggestions?

I got it from NoveList, which is a database accessible only by paid subsciption (I think EBSCO hosts it). My university gives me access since I'm a student. If you want more results, or if you can get a little more specific, I can search again for you.

My reason for asking is perhaps the information is on the web and I can go do a sort myself. Oh, well. I am looking for novels about the US Army where the setting of the novel is no earlier then January 1, 1990 and involves international politics and/or international relations - The Seal Team Seven novels are an excellent example, except for the fact that Seals are Navy and I am looking for Army blokes. Sort of a Seal Team Seven novel with Army instead of Navy.

Should I presume that you've read Clancy? Rainbow Six was pretty good.

You could try the Andy McNab or Chris Ryan books - both guys are ex-22 SAS and they know their stuff technically. Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away are pretty good books (both about an SAS mission in IRAQ 1)

Ok, went back and searched again, here's what I found:

The Warlord by Richard H. Dickinson: "Former sniper Jackson Monroe is shot down in the mountains of Afghanistan, and must find the resources within himself to be the commando he once was and lead his ragtag unit through hundreds of miles of hostile territory."

SOAR: a Black Ops novel by John Weisman: "In the wake of a groundbreaking weapons summit, Islamic guerrillas capture the American team and hijack a Chinese nuclear missile, prompting the president to mobilize a top-secret unit of the army's elite Delta Force."

And when you're ready for Air Force, check out Dale Brown. He writes lots of thrillers set in the last 15 or 20 years that have to do with the Air Force.

jbcohen said:
I would like to read some edge of your seat military fiction thriller novels. I would like to start with the Army, then go on to the Marines, Navy, Air Force. Can anyone point me towards an author who writes about the Army? The only authors that I know about are Keith Douglas (Navy) and David Poyer (Navy). Who writes about the army?

The only book to cure you of your ills is 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller.

I'll toss in a couple by Michael Farmer.

Tin Soldiers and Iron Tigers

The first is about a second war in Iraq (purely coincidence that it came out about the same time as the real one).

The second follows most of the same characters through another conflict in the Mid-East.

There is a third book coming out sometime around next January.

Excelent information that is what I am looking for. This will give me eight authors to read and whould take me some time. Any more along this same lines?

Back