• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Advice on Children's Books

VTChEwbecca

kickbox
I'm currently tutoring a struggling 7th grade reader. She reads independently on a 3rd-4th grade level, and reads instructionally on a 4th-5th grade level. She enjoys non-fiction nature books, as well as the Mary Kate & Ashley Olson books (yeck). Do you know of any books on that level that might interest her? She thought Roald Dahl was completely weird, and I haven't had much luck with other fiction.

I think you'll first have to explain to me your new-fangled American school grade system! :confused: How old is the person? How old would a 4th-grader be? Thanks! :)

Oh, sorry. I didn't think about that. My student is 12 years old. Fourth grade corresponds to 8-9 years old. I want something on her reading level, but that would also be interesting to her. Its hard to find high-interest books for 12 y/o at a 8 y/o reading level.

Perhaps "My Side of the Mountain" or "Island of the Blue Dolphin" since your student is interested in nature, and Disney is now serializing it's "Lizzie McGuire" program in book form. (Double yeck!, but if it gets kids reading, who am I to complain?)

Irene Wilde

Have you tried the Little House on the Prairie books? There is the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, also Charlotte's Web and several others by that same author. Ella ENchanted by Gail Carson Levine. For more "girl power " book titles, try this website girlpower . It also lists some non-fiction books, too.

I'm thinking the Lizzy Macquire might be too difficult...ditto for Little House on the Prarie (though they're both great suggestions). I'll have to look into the others. Its difficult to search through books to find ones she can read and will be interested in!

What about comic-strip books, like the Simpsons books? The cool thing is they feel a little bit naughty, the vocabulary is pretty good, and the age-level would work.

Does she have any interest in history? If so, you might try Catherine called Birdy or the Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman. I also second Ella Enchanted. Nancy Drew, maybe?

Would she like these fiction and non-fiction titles?

Saddle Club series by Bonnie Bryant
The Blue Ribbon Day by Katie Couric
The Pink Motel by Carol R. Brink
The Seven-Year-Old Wonder Book by Isabel Wyatt
The Baby-Sitter's Club series
Look to the North: A Wolf Pup Diary by Jean Craighead George
The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans by Sy Montgomery and Eleanor Briggs
Girls and Their Horses: True Stories from American Girl library

I had a reading problem when I was in third grade. But when I discovered Nancy Drew mysteries, I finally began to enjoy reading and improved.

There used to be a series of books called "All About" - All About Dinasaurs (Sp), All About Astrology, etc., so you were learning something while you read.

I tutored an adult for awhile, and had to try and find easy books that were not childish. The "All About" series really helped.

You might also try "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snicket. They're written for the 8-9 group, they're only about 100 pages each, and even adults like them. Since there's a video game and an upcoming movie based on the series, it might be something that would interest her. Very timely and would make her feel "in" with her classmates.

Cathy

Thanks, Bird & Cathy.

I'll have to check the Lemonisnicket books. We have read a few all about type books, but I didn't want to overdo her on nonfiction. I gravitated to those at the beginning, because I knew they wouldn't be childish.

Back