• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

After summer blues!

Ell

I know it's still technically summer - but psychologically, Labour Day seems to mark the end of summer and beginning of fall.

I have mixed feelings about September. When our kids were younger, it was kind of an exciting time - going back to school (buying clothes and supplies), beginning of the boys' hockey season, etc. Now, it's more just getting prepared for longer, wetter, grayer days ahead. On the other hand, ski season is around the corner and the long, wet days are more conducive to staying in to read.

Anyone else have post-summer doldrums?

I'm working up a good case of them. I saw the school bus go by today and it just didn't look right. Then I stopped and said, "Oh, wait, its September." Doesn't feel like it yet, but when you look around Autumn is coming fast. The lawn is getting brown and the trees that drop leaves early are right on schedule. I am looking forward to cool weather. Sweaters, fires on the hearth, hot chocolate--prime reading time. There's nothing in the world like getting up in the morning with nothing at all to do all day but tend the fire and read.

I guess it's not so much a case of the doldrums as it is change-anxiety. That period between summer and fall is very busy with changes in routine and schedules. Different clothing, different activities, different preparations when you do those activities--it seems more restricted. I have always felt a bit relieved when summer was over and with it the need for a bathing suit. And, if I wanted to stay in and read no one objected. ;)

Cheer up! Like you said, Ell, grayer wetter days mean more time to read. You can get your fall candles out--apple spice and pumpkin, and turn on a few extra lights to improve the mood and fight the grayness. The Holidays will be here soon and at the very least there is good food to be had around that time of year. At best, Hockey season starts in October! Go Stars!

Prolixic said:
At best, Hockey season starts in October! Go Stars!
Hey, a fellow hockey fan! So who's the head coach for the Stars this year? Did they keep Rick Wilson?

Do you follow basketball, too - i.e. the Mavericks (I'm assuming you're in Dallas)?

End of summer is a busy time for me. School starting for my boys, soccer practices, etc. But really, weather-wise summer has not ended here. It'll still be hot for another couple of months. We have summer and winter, that's it. It's actually hotter now than in June-August!
And to top it off, it's the peak of Hurricane season.

So, if anything, I'm having the never-ending-summer blues.

Rick's in--I believe, but unfortunately Eddie Belfour was booted at the end of last season. Of course all three of the Stars fans in this town were shaking our heads and gasping in horror when they let Ken Hitchcock go.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Man...talk about wailing and gnashing of teeth. And then they had a second rate season last year. Not encouraging from a numbers standpoint. However, it looks like the new guy is making some progress in spite of the prima donna factor he was dealing with (Which, in my humble opinion is why the team wasn't getting along with Hitch. He wanted them to play hockey instead of skate around and sign autographs.) He's got a good match for Mo in there now with Jason Arnott. Poor Mo has been dying for a decent pass since Hully went to the Wings. Those Arnott/Modono hook-ups are pretty hot. There were a few times last year that reminded me of the '98 season--whatever year they won the Cup.

Hockey is, of course, my first and favorite but if you live in the Midwestern U.S. its hard not to notice Mark Cuban's antics. We've got a lot of die hard fans around here. They went a long way last year and all the folks I've talked to hope to see them go further--Championship? Who knows, but a title would be quite a feather in Cuban's cap, to be sure.

Ell said: (I'm assuming you're in Dallas)?

Actually, Dallas is slightly South of the Cultural Center of the Universe--our town is so small that if I told you where it was you could probably pick me out. But we did suffer down there for a few years. (You know you can't even get decent catfish down there? :rolleyes: ) Hockey was about the only good habit I picked up--and it is a habit, not a vice as some would say. ;)

Come on, October!

It's certainly getting more autumnal around here. (Not sure how you say that when you call autumn "fall"). Leaves truning colour and getting cooler.

In Oklahoma we have:
Spring March - April
Summer April - July
Still Summer July, August
Late Summer August and September
Fall October 1 - October 15
Wishy-Washy Summer/Fall/Winter October 15 - November
Winter December - January
In February its anyones guess, But it's pretty common for these bo be early or late by a month or two. It's also pretty common for it to be 85F on the morning of October 15 and 25F by evening with snow on the ground.

What do you do in England in the Fall? (Autumn?) Before Winter and After Summer? :D

Nothing special really. Most people are starting to think about Christmas I guess.

The only other big event before then is "Bonfire Night" on November 5th.

Tippett must be doing something right. Stars are undefeated in their first 3 games - even with Jason Arnott injured!

They can do us Canuck fans a favour by beating Edmonton tonight.

You said beat not humiliate. I think they handled the oilers rather well. 3-0 and some fantastic saves by Turco. I was really hoping that Lehtinen would get a hat trick but I'll settle for a shutout.

I can't remember how Dallas did against the Canucks last year. We shall see, in about two weeks, hmm?

That was a pretty good game, you've got to admit. Great hits, great catches, roaring fans. We were pulling for the Angels since they've never won World Series--I guess everyone is saying that today. However, we generally have to pick a second team to root for in the World Series because the Rangers don't do anything but TV ads in October.

Canucks

Prolixic asked:
Hey, how bout those Canucks?
Well, the Stars pretty much thumped 'em on Saturday! :(

Did you watch the game? It seemed like a pretty even game (1 -1 going into the 3rd) until, .... umm ..... all H#$$ broke loose. Their next game together is Nov 6 in Dallas. Maybe the Canucks will do better ;)

The World Series was an emotional event in our house. My husband is from the LA area and is a big Angels fan. He's been waiting his entire life for this. You can imagine his response!

Dawn, we were quite please with the outcome of the Series.

Ell, Stars got paid back for that shut out of the Canucks, courtesy of Turco. The Panthers scored twice while he was out of his net. He is definitely on my sports hero fecal roster right now.
:eek: I'm So Embassed.

Back