• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ahdaf Soueif: Aisha

Mai

I've just finished reading Aisha and though at some parts I found it entertaining, in the whole it was disturbing and unsettling. Soueif's writing style is quite solid. The way she masters the Arabic narrative style (of flowing physical description) with flawless English is quite fascination. But the problem is that it is the book's only real source of fascination. The rest, I feel, is generated by a 'sellable' idea, and what's more appealing than the notion of writing being a voice for those who are denied a voice. However, that is the major problem of the book. It's enveloped in time ambiguity as if it's written in temporal vacuum. It's not clear in which time and place all the female characters live. Since the theme in the book is Arab women's limited choices, I find it very critical that she leaves the narratives flow without underlining the period in which each event happens. The name of Aisha is a clear evidence. She is presented as someone who is from an educated and upper class family (a point made very clear in the last chapter when Aisha goes to the zar; the description of which is intolerably condescending), however the name 'Aisha' is old-fashioned and associated with 'poorer' classes. On the other hand, the name of Zeina, her nurse who comes from a butchers family has a more modern name and uncommon among that society the author is describing. I feel the choice of the name Aisha is aimed at the Western audience since it has romantic mystique.

With the exception of the chapter on Zeina's marriage, the rest of the book is marred with unbelievable self-indulgence and the amazing part is Soueif gets away with it!

I think you said in another thread that you are from Jordan? Would it be possible that the names' class associations are different in Egypt? It's just a question. I don't know how it is in Egypt or Jordan because I don't know anybody from those countries, but Aisha is still a very popular name in other countries. I have met tons of Aishas in London and a few Zeinabs (but not Zeinas).

Doing a quick Google search with Egypt and both names, I found a writer and a princess called Aisha and an interior designer and a couple of farmers called Zeina, but there were not enough results to prove anything.

Well although Jordan and Egypt are two different countries and traditions migth slightly differ among them, names are the easiest to spot (names of friends, neighbors, actresses, writers, etc.) and from my observation, common names are similar in both (for example in Moroccan countries, it's a different story). Names like Aisha, Fatima, Khadija, though all of prominent Ismalic figures, they're not as common today. Of course that's not based on a study of names and how common they are, but when I compare Aisha's name with other characters in the novel (Nadia, Zeina, Marianne, etc.) hers is the most old-fashioned for someone who is coming from a very 'modern' family.

I read somewhere that the book was a little autobiographic. That would set the story in the '60s. Would that make a difference in terms of what names were fashionable?

I have read some books set in Egypt but they did not have upper class characters.

Back