• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Airline Fiction

I recently spent a few hours in my local used bookshop looking for commercial aviation novels that have (pun intended) slipped under the radar - stuff other than that written by Block or Nance. I was pleased to unearth a number of interesting books. I'm currently reading "Between the Thunder and the Sun" by Alfred Coppel, which deals with a SFO to MIA flight that is hijacked during a hurricane. Here are some others:

Flight 311 (Robert Neff) - A rough landing at Kai Tak and the aftermath
Mayday 747 (Reynolds Locke) - The "first novel of the jumbo jet age" centers around a flight to London plagued with mechanical problems
Hawks (Joseph Amiel) An airline up for purchase experiences a number of mysterious crashes
Passengers (Michael Thomas and Laurence Foxworth) - New airliner has problems but is OKd for use
The Higher They Fly (Christopher Hodder-Williams) - A transatlantic flight faces mechanical problems
Airscream (John Bruce) - A crash and the legal outcome
Flameout (Basil Jackson) - Investigation of a mysterious crash

One that falls more into the crime fiction category is Operation Nightfall (John Miles and Tom Morris), which concerns a group of guys that hijack Atlanta International (yes, the entire airport).

Does anyone have any other little-known titles to add to the list?

Back