• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Airline

Miss Shelf

does anyone watch this show on A&E? It's kind of like watching a car accident, I had no idea there were so many people making asses of themselves in airports.

Its really funny! How in the world these people are late for there flights and then be so audacious to kick off on the airport staff is amazing! Well worth watching! :)

Is this the same as the UK one about Easy Jet?? I loved that programme, the customers were just outrageous and there was one woman on check in, lordy, wouldnt want to have crossed her...I had no idea either that people behaved like this. Me, I'm always about 5 hours early for a flight anyway, I'd collapse with stress if I wasn't there waiting when the check-in opened.Ohhh I'd really love to see that again now........

francesca said:
Is this the same as the UK one about Easy Jet?? I loved that programme, the customers were just outrageous and there was one woman on check in, lordy, wouldnt want to have crossed her...I had no idea either that people behaved like this. Me, I'm always about 5 hours early for a flight anyway, I'd collapse with stress if I wasn't there waiting when the check-in opened.Ohhh I'd really love to see that again now........
Its very much the same! so funny and your so right about checking in,need to get there so early! I would stress out if i wasnt there waiting when check-in opened! :D

Last episode there was a guy who was upset because he'd gone through security an hour or so before boarding, and missed his flight because he wasn't in the check-in 10 minutes prior to departure like they tell everyone to be, and they gave his seat away. The clerk was trying to explain that to him and he was arguing that because he had been upstairs an hour previous to departure, they shouldn't have given his seat away. He didn't seem to understand that he had to check in at the gate 10 minutes before departure.

Then there was a girl (around 20 years old) who couldn't find her boarding pass, and her mother had to get off the plane and watch it leave, right after that the daughter found her boarding pass at the bottom of a shopping bag. They were booked on the next flight, when it came time to board the mother couldn't find her daughter-and the daughter had left her boarding pass and ID on a seat. (this is why we have to have such tight security in airports.) They paged the girl a fdw times and the mother was ready to get on the plane and leave without her and the girl showed up, she had been in the bathroom. I couldn't believe how scatterbrained that girl was.

Most memorable: the elderly gent whose suitcase was full of roaches! They took his bag outside and opened it up and roaches came crawling out, he didn't understand why they wouldn't load the bag on the plane.

I gotta hand it to those people working at airports, with most of those rude (and drunk) customers I would have lost my temper and gotten fired!

I have caught it a few times and liked it. People are nuts...but I can never manage to remember when it is actually on...what day and time?

I've seen this show before and it's a morbid curiousity that makes me tune in. I just wanted to let out a hearfelt plea, though. Please don't think that people who are late to the plane are all disorganised prats! I have been the last one on the plane far too many times because of connections gone bad, largely due to the fact that any flight to the States from Canada requires one to go through US customs and security BEFORE you leave Canada. This means that if you connect to a major city you have to collect your bags off a special US connections baggage carosel, personally put your bag on a conveyor belt that goes through a second X-ray machine, go through US customs and then make a mad dash to your flight. They will NOT bump you up in the lines because your flight is leaving before every other person there, nor will they assist you with making the plane by providing one of those little carts.

--
Let me go on a little rant by way of explanation:

In my latest experience I was connecting through Montreal to get to LA and then back to Australia. My flights were all sorted until 2 weeks before my trip the plane into Montreal from my little town was changed to 20 mins later. This meant I suddenly had only 60 mins to make my connection in Montreal. I smelt trouble already. Sure enough, we left my town a little behind schedule, but still landed on time in Montreal. I then proceeded to wait FORTY MINUTES for my bags to reach the special US connections carosel. I then had to carry my bag about 10 metres and put it on the conveyor belt to be X-rayed. Then I joined the US customs lineup, and proceeded to wait on tenterhooks while the line moved slowly... By the time I had gotten through customs I had exactly 5 minutes to reach the boarding gate (naturally nowhere nearby) before the plane was to leave.

A man in a cart came around the corner towards me and without slowing, shouted at me, "Miss Kookamoor?"

"Yes?" I panted

"Your flight is leaving! Hurry up!!" he scolded.

At no time did he even slow his oh-so-high-and-mighty cart to talk to me, nor did he consider turning around to drive me to my gate.

I stumbled to the gate, and received a visual dressing down by the flight officials as they hautilly, and needlessly, told me I was exceptionally late. The entire plane watched me stumble through the aircraft towards my seat, giving me withering looks for delaying their departure. And none of this was my fault! The airport officials were entirely unhelpful, and it was all because of a policy that I must place my own baggage on the US security conveyor belt to be Xrayed.

Ironically, perhaps, my bag did not even make the plane, and ended up being rerouted through Chicago and San Fransisco before ending up in Sydney, Australia about 6 hours before I did.

So this is a heartfelt plea to all of you. Please, do not think that someone who is late for their flight has been held up by their own thoughtlessness and disorganisation. Bear in mind that there is every liklihood that they have been wound up and spat out by the web of bureacracy that is airport security these days. Oh, and never travel through Montreal.

Kookamoor said:
So this is a heartfelt plea to all of you. Please, do not think that someone who is late for their flight has been held up by their own thoughtlessness and disorganisation. Bear in mind that there is every liklihood that they have been wound up and spat out by the web of bureacracy that is airport security these days. Oh, and never travel through Montreal.

Oh, I think people understand that-probably not the people on the plane kept waiting though since they didn't know what was going on.

But the people in "Airline" are frequently late for their planes through their own faults. The guy who argued with the gate clerk had been in the terminal for over an hour, he could have gotten to his gate in time for his flight but for whatever reason he took his sweet time getting there. People have shown up after their plane left and said they lost track of time, etc. The airline makes every effort to get those people onto a later plane, but some people are obnoxious and demand a refund and go look for another carrier. I'm not sure if the presence of the camera emboldens people to make scenes.

People have also showed up drunk and belligerent or drunk and acting weird, and argue because they're denied boarding. I'm sorry but I don't want to sit in a cramped seat for six hours next to a drunk person. Yes, they serve drinks in flight but the stewardess can cut a person off if the person becomes obnoxious, but a person who shows up drunk to begin with, I have no sympathy for.

My favorite episode was the April Fools one where the gate employees dealt with a man who claimed his wife was invisible and became upset because someone "stepped on her". This went on for quite a while and the supervisor arrived and the look on his face was priceless-trying to keep a professional face while the guy told him all about his invisible wife getting stepped on, wanting special service, etc. Finally one of the clerks said "April Fool!". They'd gotten a passenger to help them pull the joke on the supervisor.

I just love watching these shows. I´ve seen the Flemish, British and American versions of it and I must say I like the American show best. People are much more interesting in that show, I think. Lots of yelling and such. ;)

Miss Shelf said:
does anyone watch this show on A&E? It's kind of like watching a car accident, I had no idea there were so many people making asses of themselves in airports.
I watch programme a bit like Airline, I think I have seen airline before, but yea I have watched something similar to this kind of programme. I enjoy watching those very much.

I'm watching it tonight, if it's on (two weeks ago it was pre-empted for another show). I especially enjoy people who say they're never flying that airline again. If I was working there (I wouldn't last a full shift, I just cannot take crap from people) I'd say "don't let the door hit you on the way out!". :p

I saw this show once and was laughing so hard that i couldn't breathe...i can't believe the way people act sometimes- it's really humorous.

I just wonder what these people think when/if they finally see themselves on tv months after the event. bloody idiots. funny though.

what I wonder about is, can they sue once they're home, sobered up and see themselves on TV? Do the producers run after them in the airport and get them to sign a waiver? Or is an airport considered a public place where you can't complain about being videotaped? There's a difference between security cameras and TV cameras. Does anyone know about the legality of this stuff?

They would have to have them sign waivers, after they put the show together probably and edit it. Although I'm not sure if they sign before or after. And there are just some people that don't care what they look like on tv....ever watch Jerry Springer?

well, the airline would have a record of them....also, I imagine they get info after they film, we are only seeing the edited version. :) at least that's what I would think anyway...anyone else know?

Back