• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alexandra Ripley: Scarlett

jimthompson

Did anyone on forum read the book Scarlett which is sequel to Gone with The Wind? Someone gave me this book but is a big long thing and I was wondering if it was worth starting up with this book.

I've read it, and was disappointed. I am, however, not a fan of the romance genre and Ripley is more a romance writer, at least IMO. I found it dragged quite a bit, and was not true to the original characters. Only my opinion.
I'm a huge fan of Gone With the Wind, and have reread it multiple times over the decades. It changes each time I read it, or rather as I age I see different perspectives at least.

I can however recommend Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig. The story told from Rhett's perspective. Better done than Scarlett, more true to Mitchell's characterizations.

I read Scarlett a long time ago and remember enjoying it. Although I have been meaning to pick it up again and see if my perspective has changed since then.

Thank you for reply. I think now I will not attempt to get through this big epic. I never read Gone With the Wind either, but I saw the movie numerous times.

Actually the film, Gone With the Wind followed the book accurately, aside from a couple of Scarlett's marriages being left to the side. ;) And Vivian Leigh was the epitome of Mitchell's Scarlett.

I don't know why you'd read Scarlett without reading GWTW first. Do you plan on seeing the Scarlett movie too? Now there's a film that defines guilty pleasure. I know it's all kinds of bad, but I can't stop myself from watching it.

Really the only reason I was thinking of reading this Scarlett book is because someone gave it to me. it is not something I would normally read.

Back