• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alexandre Dumas: The Black Tulip and The Count of Monte Cristo

manonquayle

Hi!
I am doing a coursework on comparing these texts by Alexandre Dumas, and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the similarities between the two. is there a reason for that?

Well, all. Both are historical fiction. Man is accused of something political that he did not do because of jealousy and is arrested. Both books deal with the idea of obsession, Cornelius for the tulip, Dantes with revenge. Both books deal with the idea of happiness, and that it can only be seen through suffering. And other minor details.
The Count of Monte Cristo is on a much larger scale than The Black Tulip and there are obvious differences, for example Cornelius has everything he wants with him in prison (Rosa, tulips) whereas prison represents for Dantes a separation from human life; he loses his fiance, his father, his money, his position. And Cornelius does not really seek revenge like Dantes does. But there are also obvious similarities, and I know this is a long post, but what I was really wondering is whether Dumas had some reason for these similarities, why was he interested in the idea of unjust imprisonment, obsession?
Can you help?
Thanks for the reply.

Back