• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amazing Picture Books - know of any?

Motokid

As a parent of two kids I have read well over a hundred different picture books. A few are really great, plenty are tolerable, and there are way to many that are just plain stinkers.

Everybody knows Dr. Suess. What I'm looking for are the stories that are less well known. The ones that stand out and above the ordinary teddy-bear story.

Are there stories that you, as the adult reader, found surprisingly enjoyable to read.

Are there stories where the graphics just knocked your socks off ?

Are there books that actually inspired your child to try something new?

I loved "The Stinky Cheese Man".
My kids loved "Stellaluna"

Dr. Ernest Drake's Dragonology

It's not a storybook, it's designed as a journal about all things Dragon. The art was fantastic and there were textures and such. My kids and I loved it.

PS - I work in Wilmington and live in Newark!

Countdown to Chrismas by Bill Peet

Not sure if you can still get this anywhere. A copy is available on eBay, but it's pretty expensive! Check out the pictures! I can't remember what the whole story was, but I remember part of the story where Santa Claus wanted to jazz up his sleigh, so he spray painted it multiple colors. Oh! And he ends up throwing his magic sack away in favor of a new one, but then has to go searching for his old sack and finds that a walrus is wearing it as a hat (or something like that). The pictures are really awesome, and they look like they were done in colored pencil or maybe pastels.

Almost anything by Robert Munsch: Paperbag Princess; and I Have To Go!

Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee

Just for the pictures and endless fun: Richard Scarry books. My sons loved Cars and Trucks and Things That Go and The Great Pie Robbery.

A couple of these are not considered picture books, but I'm including them…

Smoky Night, illustrated by David Diaz, written by Eve Bunting. The story a boy who must leave his apartment in the middle of the night with his mother to find shelter from the riots that have taken over the city. Well done in handling issues of racism and tolerance; the painting and collage illustrations cleverly tie-in to the action.

Manneken Pis : A Simple Story of a Boy Who Peed on a War by Vladimir Radunsky
An unlikely and funny story inspired by the statue of the peeing boy in Brussels, Belgium. Childlike paintings illustrate a war and the unusual way a little boy ended it. At first glance this book may seem crude in subject and art, but this is quickly overlooked once you start reading.

D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths by Edgar and Ingri D'Aulaire
Not a picturebook but a great book with great pictures. Greek mythology for young readers; has full-page illustrations of deities, heroes and monsters.

Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey and The Fire Cat by Esther Averill.

Mort said:
Countdown to Christmas by Bill Peet. Santa Claus wanted to jazz up his sleigh...And he ends up throwing his magic sack away.
I remember that...also The Wump World.

Back