• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

American History X

honeydevil

i want to know if you know this movie and what you think about it... i just saw it and was totally paralyzed... i think it is one of the most special movies i saw in a long time.. it is critique and current...

I saw this movie and thought it was very good and dhould be used in studies for students. I thought it had a great cast and was well done...

I will never watch this movie again! It was brilliant in an emotionally devastating sort of way. The scene on the side of the kerb still makes me shudder...

After reading your posts I checked it out. Please, what is so special about it. Does not appear to be my type of movie.

btw, I am not a party pooper but wouldn't this be better placed under the "movie & TV" thingie. :)

muggle said:
After reading your posts I checked it out. Please, what is so special about it. Does not appear to be my type of movie.
American History X is one of those movies that shines a bright light into those evil parts of the human soul that you're rather not see, but you know are there. It's brilliant because the acting is superb, and the story progresses in such a way as to slowly unfold the problem of racism and hate, starting at the surface and working downwards into all the "underneath" reasons why it exists. It's a little bit like reading Kafka - "taking an axe to the frozen sea within us."

By the way, I agree, I'd never want to see it again. It's a brilliant, horrible movie.

I don't think I could watch it again even if I had the chance. The ending gets me emotional... and I don't want to watch the prison shower rape scene either.

A good movie nonetheless.

I loved it, it contained many messages about how we have to accept and tolerate others regardless of race and religion. Although i always feel sick when i see the kerb scene. first time i seen it i vomited.

Being an ex-big city American, I watched the movie with interest and asked he who has smelly feet what he thought and when he finally answered it was horror, utter horror! It scared him to pieces!

I, on the other hand, thought it good entertainment, but being one of half-colour, I am used to being treated as lesser than and/or being abused. I didn't think the message was good but I didn't get the horrible feeling that most get when watching it.

It's funny how that movie can elicit such major responses whereas something like Black Hawk Down and Hotel Rwanda do not, as a rule. Those movies are scarier than American History X.

Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors and this is probably him at his best. It is a great performance and a great story, all topped off by an ending that knocks the wind out of you. Avery Brooks is very good too in this movie.

KristoCat said:
American History X is one of those movies that shines a bright light into those evil parts of the human soul that you're rather not see, but you know are there. It's brilliant because the acting is superb, and the story progresses in such a way as to slowly unfold the problem of racism and hate, starting at the surface and working downwards into all the "underneath" reasons why it exists. It's a little bit like reading Kafka - "taking an axe to the frozen sea within us."

By the way, I agree, I'd never want to see it again. It's a brilliant, horrible movie.

Well said.

Such a powerful film. It should definitely be showed in schools. It leaves you with such an impression and image even if its dark and ugly. Which may be the point.

The end is so sad. Just when things looks like theyre gunna do a 180.

Ed Norton was marvelous in this. Damn he got huge for this role! His relationship with Lawrence in the prison is perfect and beautiful to watch.

8/10

Back