• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amityville Horror Remake

gallagher672003

Has anyone else see the new AMITYVILLE HORROR movie?
I saw it on Friday and thought it was pretty good.I am guessing that it follows the story of the book closer than the original movie,which if I were to have to chose would still be the better of the two.
It is of course all fantasy and I smiled to myself when the screen flashes the message that "This is a true story".

Excited to see this for a looooong time.

I saw it Friday too! I'm a big horror movie fan and I'm not a picky person either. So... I loved that movie! I thought it was great, better than the first in my opinion (I really liked the first one, but it tended to be quite boring). I was very happy.
I liked how they killed the dog in this one. The real Lutz said that they didn't forget the dog like it was portrayed in the original movie.

I read an interview with the real George Lutz recently and he said that he was really upset with them going out of their way to promote it as a true story. I thought it just said "Based on a true story" ::shrug:: Well, apparently Lutz is in litigation now over the film.

I want to pick up the box set of the old ones.

oh yeah

I also like how they gave more background information on the house than they did in the original... like about Ketcham...man, it was so great! It was pretty damn funny too.

I wasn't impressed with the remake. I personally prefer the original. I have two questions maybe someone can help me with: 1-how do you make the black out for the spoiler part? and 2-when you say the "box set of the old ones" how many were there, because my parents and I argued over this for 20 minutes, I said there were at least 2 because I remember renting them with a friend on Halloween one year. Thanks!

tarablythe said:
I wasn't impressed with the remake. I personally prefer the original. I have two questions maybe someone can help me with: 1-how do you make the black out for the spoiler part? and 2-when you say the "box set of the old ones" how many were there, because my parents and I argued over this for 20 minutes, I said there were at least 2 because I remember renting them with a friend on Halloween one year. Thanks!

There are loads of them but beware,Amityville 2:The Posession is woth a watch because its based on the Defeo murders but after that I'd forget it.The third one was originally a 3d release and not much thought was put into the story.Then there were a few sequels that were just lame beyond reason.

[ spoiler] then your text goes here [/ spoiler] -but be sure to take out all the spaces in the brackets. it's similar to quoting text ([quote ] blah blah [/quote ]).

Well, i just looked up the Amityville online and it says, "Amityville Horror Special Edition Gift Set [4 Pack] - DVD Release date 4/5/2005" It consists of 5 "sides".

Side #1 -- The Amityville Horror
Side #2 -- Amityville II: The Possession - Widescreen
Side #3 -- Amityville II: The Possession - Full Screen
Side #4 -- Amityville 3-D - Widescreen
Side #5 -- Amityville 3-D - Full Screen

Additional features: The Amityville Horror: New high-definition transfer New state-of-the-art 5.1 Surround Audio commentary by Dr. Hans Holzer, Ph.D. in Parapsychology "For God's Sake, Get Out!" documentary Radio spots Original theatrical trailer Bonus disc: "Amityville Confidential": Features terrifying extras exploring the fascinating true story behind the Amityville series

No, I know what you mean about the original... I don't know... I'm always like this, I'm usually so psyched by the new one, but once I'm calm, I realize that the original/first was better. But I remember the original being pretty slow at some points, kind of dragging on (in my opinion)... and I don't recall any moments like that with the new one.

Hmm.. I haven't seen Amityville 3D. Have any of you?

Libra6Poe said:
I saw it Friday too! I'm a big horror movie fan and I'm not a picky person either. So... I loved that movie! I thought it was great, better than the first in my opinion (I really liked the first one, but it tended to be quite boring). I was very happy.
I liked how they killed the dog in this one. The real Lutz said that they didn't forget the dog like it was portrayed in the original movie.

I read an interview with the real George Lutz recently and he said that he was really upset with them going out of their way to promote it as a true story. I thought it just said "Based on a true story" ::shrug:: Well, apparently Lutz is in litigation now over the film.

I want to pick up the box set of the old ones.

http://www.amityvillehorror.com/

I stand corrected on the "True story" statement.

I think George Lutz should be careful going to court with people over a story being true or not.I honestly dont buy it.Aside from the original murders there have been no reports of supernatural activity before or after the Lutz's left the house.Its still a good story though and I wouldn't mind re reading the book but its out of print and ridiculously overpriced on Amazon.
I have just bought the original special edition DVD and it has a couple of documentaries on it.Its well worth a look.

Libra6Poe said:
[ I haven't seen Amityville 3D. Have any of you?

Yes I have and its dreadful.The box set thankfully doesnt cover titles like Amityville- Dollshouse and a few others I cant remember.They are all truly poor.

The others

4. Amityville: The Evil Escapes (1989) (aka "Amityville IV: The Evil Escapes" & "The Amityville Horror: The Evil Escapes, Part 4")
5. The Amityville Curse (1990)
6. Amityville 1992: It's About Time (1992)
7. Amityville: A New Generation (1993) (aka "Amityville 1993: The Image of Evil")
8. Amityville: Dollhouse (1996) (aka "Amityville Dollhouse: Evil Never Dies")

I think I've only seen "It's About Time"... I'm sure they're all terrible, but I'm pretty curious about them. hehe, I'm not very critical when it comes to horror movies. Either they freak me out or they make me laugh. ;)

I was just thinking...
I liked that they showed Jody in this new one, from what I recall, you didn't see her in the original. It made the closet scene a whole lot better
and
When the little girl was on the rooftop, didn't that freak you out? just a little? ;)

Libra6Poe said:
I was just thinking...
I liked that they showed Jody in this new one, from what I recall, you didn't see her in the original. It made the closet scene a whole lot better
and
When the little girl was on the rooftop, didn't that freak you out? just a little? ;)

Yes It did.But I fear it was another piece of fantasy to make the film more sensational.I would like to have seen the definitive version of alleged events commited to film.
I think the truth of the whole thing though is this:

1.Family move into house they can't afford

2.Family start to relise mistake

3.Family formulate a plan to get them out of financial difficulty

4.Family concoct story based on real life murders and local history

5.Family run away from house and get rich (although George Lutz says not THAT rich)

I would recommend reading the book if you can find a copy.(try used bookstores or thrift/charity shops.) It was MUCH scarier and better than the original film. I was very bored through that and I don't think I'll bother with the remake, especially since its done by the same guy that did 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' remake. That was a waste of money in my opinion. Think I'll save my money and go see 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'. I've read alot of positive stuff on this film. I hope it lives up to it. :)

lorrekarloff said:
I would recommend reading the book if you can find a copy.(try used bookstores or thrift/charity shops.) It was MUCH scarier and better than the original film. I was very bored through that and I don't think I'll bother with the remake, especially since its done by the same guy that did 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' remake. That was a waste of money in my opinion. Think I'll save my money and go see 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'. I've read alot of positive stuff on this film. I hope it lives up to it. :)
Yes I have been searching for a copy of the original book,but check Amazon out,the prices are outrageous.£70 upwards.Not sure how much in Dollars but its a lot!

the book

What is the title and who is the author? I just want to make sure I don't get the wrong one... It looks like there are a lot of books by people trying to milk the phenomenon. :p

Libra6Poe said:
What is the title and who is the author? I just want to make sure I don't get the wrong one... It looks like there are a lot of books by people trying to milk the phenomenon. :p

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson.There were two more books that followed the Lutzes.They were written by John L Jones (I think),but were obvious cash ins.The last one has the "Evil" following them around the world as they promote the book/film of the original story!!!??

Since this book is so hard to find and expensive when you do find one, I promise to look for inexpensive copies at book sales and yard sales in the future. If I find any, I'll let you all know and will be glad to pass copies through the mail to anyone who wants it. :)

lorrekarloff said:
Since this book is so hard to find and expensive when you do find one, I promise to look for inexpensive copies at book sales and yard sales in the future. If I find any, I'll let you all know and will be glad to pass copies through the mail to anyone who wants it. :)

Thats really decent of you.I would appreciate that greatly.Thanks. :)

Back