• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amos Oz

abecedarian

I was rereading the May/June 2006 issue of Bookmark magazine last night and came across a nice article on Amos Oz. I see he's got a very nice list of works, and I wondered if any of you had read him and what you thought. I'm trying to decide which book to read first..

A Tale of Love and Darkness got excellent reviews when it came out two years ago. It's on my to-be-read list -- but, then, what isn't?

I like his style

Yes, yes, I read one of his books and was wondering when I would get the chance to share my impressions with someone. And I got "My husband, Michael" as a Christmas present, but I haven't read it yet. The thing is my husband's name is really Michael.:)

Yes, yes, I read one of his books and was wondering when I would get the chance to share my impressions with someone. And I got "My husband, Michael" as a Christmas present, but I haven't read it yet. The thing is my husband's name is really Michael.:)

Which book did you read Enya?

Logical question

Right, logical question! Actually, I'm not sure of the English title as I read it in translation, I read "How to know a woman" or is it "To know a woman"?
I liked it a lot, you get to know a character through the narrator's memories, he remembers his wife in beautifully written thoughts. I liked the way he gives you a little suspense and you think the book will turn into a spy novel at some point, only to discover that it's just his thoughts and memories, no spectacular plot but very interesting descriptions of his feelings.

I was rereading the May/June 2006 issue of Bookmark magazine last night and came across a nice article on Amos Oz. I see he's got a very nice list of works, and I wondered if any of you had read him and what you thought. I'm trying to decide which book to read first..

I read the "light and darkness" by Amos Oz. Sometimes it was very funny and sometimes very sad. I think that the translation is not very well done. It seems that in the original manuscript, the author played with words making funny sentences and forming new meanings but translation is explaining the jokes rather than trying to adapt itself to a new language. May be it is not very easy to translate - because the author sometimes is mixing Russian and Hebrew languages but translation to other languages is probably extremely hard! I wonder how you find the book... Did you pay attention on the same translation problems as I did or it read "natural" ?

I read the "light and darkness" by Amos Oz. Sometimes it was very funny and sometimes very sad. I think that the translation is not very well done. It seems that in the original manuscript, the author played with words making funny sentences and forming new meanings but translation is explaining the jokes rather than trying to adapt itself to a new language. May be it is not very easy to translate - because the author sometimes is mixing Russian and Hebrew languages but translation to other languages is probably extremely hard! I wonder how you find the book... Did you pay attention on the same translation problems as I did or it read "natural" ?

The title I chose was a collection of essays called Israel, Palestine and Peace..I enjoyed it very much, and will seek out his fiction too. Having read several Russian writers recently, I noticed how Oz's Russian roots peeked out as he used family anecdotes to make his points in the essays.

Back