• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ancient Greek and Roman books?

the particular book i have is a 1953 publication translated by Richard Lattimore, 95th printing (1984).

actually, i just found the book at work one day. it had been in the lost-and-found for abouth six months and was about to be thrown out.

i had always loved greek mythology as a kid and as aware of Aeschylus and Agamemnon, so i took the book home...

would there be a better translation out there?

The one I read was translated by Fagles, published by Penguin as The Oresteia. Very readable and modern. I notice there are several editions floating around amazon.

Anyone else out there desperately trying to get the Iliad finished off before Hollywood comes along and steamrollers over it with Troy?

I have this theory about the Iliad - I refer to it as the foundation of "loser lit". This is where someone doesn't do something for a long time, then has to deal with the aftermath of their inaction. Flaubert wrote some loser lit. And Hamlet, of course, applies.

Anyway, it all irritates me. I love the Odyssey though.

IMHO the great thing about Hamlet is that Shakespeare takes the framework of the revenge tragedy and places a self-doubting, procrastinating thinker at the centre. I find this far more interesting than the bog-standard escalating body count revenge story (see Kill Bill). After all, where's the drama in everything going right first time?

Originally posted by Ashlea
Caesar's Gallic War diaries are great reading, who else could write about how wonderful they were in third person?

Catullus for love poetry, Horace for odes.

History of the Peloponesian War, if you go in for war stuff.

I'm reading The Gallic Wars right now. Caesar is an excellent writer, although I'm not sure how much of what he's saying I should believe.

Yeah, im still battling through the Iliad (although the fight may have gone out of me now) but not really in preparation for Troy (i know the story fairly well without having read the book anyway!)

I had to struggle through Herodotus' Histories & History of the Pelopennesian War for my degree at uni, enjoyed them both but it was touch and go at times :)

Phil

Originally posted by Haethurn
I'm reading The Gallic Wars right now. Caesar is an excellent writer, although I'm not sure how much of what he's saying I should believe.

Believe as much as you would any other politician. :p

Actually I wouldn't say that Caesar was very political.

But that isn't the point. The point is that james or others interested might be still observing this thread so here we go:

Roman and Greek are very, very different and seperate aside from very basic aspects of mythology so the question is a little ackward. I will assume you would like literature or history from the general setting of the mediterranean.

I would not reccomend the Aeneid, it was more a nationalist's gift to Emperor Claudius rather than one to literature.

The most fascinating works are the books written by the historians and philosophers of the time, in my opinion. Such historians include Plutarch, Xenophon, Herodotus, et al. However, do not believe what is said about the Persian Wars. The latter especially was attempting to create another Greek epic rather than a valid history. Just read it to enjoy and learn about the values of the time.

Roman historians tended to be more accurate, and I think that you would enjoy Caesar's book.

The greatest literary works of your requested setting are, in my opinion, Plato's republic and the work of Homer. I don't like Sophocles, but you may, and it is interesting to observe ancient theater.

Or if you are interested in math, you can research the work of Archimedes, who lived in the Greek colony of Syracuse, if it counts.

Originally posted by Faran
Actually I wouldn't say that Caesar was very political.

:confused: Caesar? Not political? Not always effectively political, granted, as then perhaps he would've lasted longer, but the Romans were bred to be political machines, and he was top dog for a very long time. And his "histories" were very well written propaganda.

A talent for writing propaganda, being an icon as he was, etc. is all very well but I believe it was his lack of understanding of fundamental Roman politics which led to his demise.

Used a book of greek & roman myths recommended by my professor I remember now the editor was named Rose. The original sources are scattered across classical literature, you need to use anthologies and translations. Ovid's Metamorphosis is one, Hesiod's Theogony another from the Latin

I, Claudius, Robert Graves (or Tacitus, if you want the historical view)
Edith Hamilton's Mythology is a good overview.
Ovid, esp. Metamorphoses.
Petronius, but not if you have easily bruised sensibilities.
Night of the Wolf by Alice Borchardt. Werewolf book, but her history background is good.

I could go on for hours.

I'll go with Ovid and Metamorphoses as well, and the Aeneid by Virgil.

Back