• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ann-Marie MacDonald: The Way The Crow Flies

Prairie_Girl

I'm about 480 pages into this book and it's grabbed me in a way no book has in a long time. I'm dying to talk about it! Has anyone else read it? Judging from what I've read so far, I'm finding it to be a much easier read than MacDonald's previous work, "Fall on Your Knees" which won the 2000 Giller Prizer. I found "Fall" to be a little more confusing. In this book the characters are much more cleanly developed.
The sexual abuse themes
which were also present in "Fall" are very well developed, it would have been quite easy for MacDonald to turn that into the ENTIRE focus of the book, but she didn't, chosing instead to focus on the murder, and the reprecussions of that on Centralia.
I also found it very refreshing the way the story alternates between Medeleine, Jack and Mimi's point of view, though I wish we would have seen more of Mimi. As a daughter in law of a french woman I found her character to remind me of my maman.
Anyone else?

This is definately a book that I will be reading in the near furture, especially after your helpful overview of the book :) I'll be interested to see other member's thoughts on it.

Thanks for the use of spoiler tags as well, keep it up! There's nothing worse than looking into a thread about a book you are interested in and it being spoiled by someone too lazy to use spoiler tags :mad:

I had the book ruinied for me by a review in the New York Times. Avoid all reviews of this book, they ruin it in every single one I've found.

I may pick this up, I looked at it last time I was at the book store since they had it on sale but I had not heard of it. I'm already going to pick up 2 others so I may add this one, you make it sound so good, darn you. :D

It really really is, I've been very impressed. I wasn't all the crazy about her first novel, but when MonkeyCatcher mentioned that she was reading it I remembered that I had wanted to read "The Way the Crow Flies". I think after this, I may have to give "Fall On Your Knees" a second look, I read it a few years ago, and I'm sure my tastes have matured.

Hey Prairie Girl, I have started to read this book now! I may not finish it for another week or two but am already looking forward to discussing it.:) I am roughly 200 pages into it now, and my main thought is
What the heck is up with the 4th grade teacher? I am definitely sensing a pervert and some sexual abuse here.
I just had to go a dig this thread back up so that the second I finish the book I can come bother you and discuss it! :eek:

It is a very good read thus far, and I am enjoying the different points of view from the characters very much.

Oh yes! I finished it. I enjoyed it very much.

Madeleine became a bit of an annoying character as an adult. That quirkiness is vute as an 8 yr old, but it grated in me when she grew up. Overall a great book. I enjoyed it very much and was actually quite surprised by how it ended.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I might actually end up having to buy it, I got it from the library, but I think it will be a re-read, plus the trade paper is quite nice, and I'd like to own it.

Back