• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anne Holm: I am David

Cosimah2o

David is a 12 years old.. He has lived all his life in a concentration camp somewhere in eastern Europe. He does not know anything about his parents or where he comes from, or why he is in the camp. . All he knows is that he is David..
One day, without any explanation, a guard arranges him to escape .. The guard told him that he must go to south toward Salonica, giving him a small compass, he must stow away on a ship sailing to Italy and then walk north until he comes to a country called Denmark. And that is what David does.

This reading had a profund impact to me. The main character David isn't like a boy.. He doesn't know what means living like a boy, he has survived in the camp by never allowing himself to think further than the next meal and never permits himself to have some affection for anyone, because he has always lived with panic.
When David takes his journey towards Denmark, all the people that he meets on his long journey, he doesn't feel able to trust anyone and so he shoulders the burden of the journey alone. Consequently, all the judgments he makes about other people and their actions, and his own actions, are governed entirely by his own moral standards.
For him, to observe the moral codes is a symbol of his new-found liberty and a pleasure to discover the simple things of life, this helps to make David a very powerful and pure figure.

Anne Holm uses him as a blank canvas board on which can be drawn the first experiences of life - beauty, knowledge, trust, religion, love, everything...
The book is a synthesis of all the terrible persecution that happened during the Second World War and the subsequent years of cold war communism.

There are many emotions that will embrace us during this reading but I would like to emphasize 3 values. The willpower of David, the solidarity among people and the hope that never dies on this long journey.

I loved this book when I was little. It was read to us in primary school, and I must have reread it at least 10 times. A brilliant story - I'm pretty sure it was this book that ignited my passion for learning everything I could about the Nazis.

I read this book just last week it was good I enjoyed it loved the ending good adventure for the 12 year old boy :star4:

Back