• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Another newbie needing recommendations...

shadow9d9

Most of my sci-fi/fantasy background has been tv/movies up until this point. Favorite TV shows: Star Trek: TNG, DS9, the new Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, the 4400, Quantum Leap, and Firefly.

I just recently rediscovered reading(I am young yet, 23).

I read most of the Deep Space Nine season 8 books, and once I was finished, I decided to start reading more sci-fi/fantasy. I asked for a friend's advice and I chose from his list to try Bujold's Vorkosigan's series which is being delivered to me via mail as we speak. I bought the Hobbit(though haven't read it yet) to test Tolkien's writing style(a new story since I've seen the films-yes I know there is more to LOTR than what was in the films-I will get to lotr next).

I just read Guards! Guards! which was extremely witty and intelligent writing. Somehow Pratchett seems to write in a way that makes you really care about the characters, so I will be buying more discworld...

I also bought the first book in the song of Ice and Fire series by Martin George, however, I am waiting a little bit before devling into it, just because the series still has plenty of time before its completion.

I am looking for sci-fi fantasy that isn't corny/cheesy in the way the original Star Trek was for tv... trying to avoid outdated or now considered cliched writing.

My friend recommended the following:
"clark - The Collected Short stories
asimov- Foundation
Moon-The Deed of Paksenarrion
Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land
Richard Adams Watership Down
T H Whites The Once and Future King...
Dan Simmon's Illiyum series
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series
Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages series
anything by Ursula Le Guin
"

Knowing the books that I've now read(DS9, Discworld, and upcoming Vorkosigan(next on my reading list)), which books above or otherwise would you recommend for me to read next.

Thanks!

I would recommend that you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's short - only about 300-something pages - but it really is brilliant. The series continues with a few other books, I believe, although I havn't read the rest. I also suggest that you try Dune by Frank Herbert. Most people think this to be one of the best sci-fi books ever (I found it to be a really good book, but not worthy of that title, IMHO) It's quite short, so it should suit your needs quite well. This book is also Book 1 in a series. And of course you should try to witty, clever The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I definitely recommend that you read The Hobbit sometime soon, it's a great book. You may want to hold off on LOTR until you get a little more used to reading, however, because it can be a bit of a struggle. Also, try to get to Watership Down as quickly as possible - it's an absolutely brilliant piece of work!

If you're interested in trying some short stories I would recommend JG Ballard. He's written novels too, but I haven't read those. His earlier short stories are great, and I'm not usually a 'sci-fi' fan - I'm more of a fantasy sort of person. I'd recommend picking up a 'Best of J.G. Ballard' collection.

Oh, and if you don't like Tolkein, don't rule out other fantasy. As I think you know, judging from your comments above, Tolkein's style is very wordy, and I found the LOTR books to lack a little substance in comparison to many of the more contemporary works. While Tolkein was an undeniable pioneer in the genre, I have issues with people who think he 'defines' it.

Back