• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anton Chekhov: The Bet

I will start by saying that it was a hasty bet in the heat of the conversation,each one trying to prove they were right without thinking it through.

Sorry I'm late, Libra. Jr. stopped by today and my schedule went out the window.

Interesting story, Libra. I have to say that I don't think the bet was all that important, except that it was necessary to put the events in motion.

What Chokhov was trying to say starts in the difference in (personal) growth between the protagonist and the antagonist, what the antagonist wrote in his note, and the reaction of the protagonist.

It's alright Robert,I had the oposite,plans went awry so I was in and out in the forum all day.:D

Do you think the banker learned anything,or was it just the lawyer that changed?

I love this story. Though I appear to have a different understanding of it than most.

To me it means that life is worthless. Knowledge teaches us nothing real, except the realization of how useless and harmful we all are - rich or poor.

The banker was self obsessed and greedy enough to kill the lawyer. The lawyer had grown wise enough to know this so he left early.

Which one is the better man? Neither. We are all weak and selfish.

I love this story. Though I appear to have a different understanding of it than most.

To me it means that life is worthless. Knowledge teaches us nothing real, except the realization of how useless and harmful we all are - rich or poor.

The banker was self obsessed and greedy enough to kill the lawyer. The lawyer had grown wise enough to know this so he left early.

Which one is the better man? Neither. We are all weak and selfish.

Such hope for humanity eh? lol Terrible animals we are.

It's alright Robert,I had the oposite,plans went awry so I was in and out in the forum all day.:D

Do you think the banker learned anything,or was it just the lawyer that changed?

I think the lawyer learned a lot. Judging from the letter, his lesson was of a spiritual nature. I don't think the banker learned a thing. His heart was clearly in his pocketbook and judging from the fact that he took the letter and locked it up, I can only assume that his heart remained in his pocketbook.

I agree,but why the tears? and jaybe makes a good point,it all started with the opinion of capitol punishment and the lawyer stayed true to his opinion.

I didn't read that in there at all. If he feared for his safety he would have left a lot earlier than he did.

Do you think the banker learned anything, or was it just the lawyer that changed?../...but why the tears?
I think the only thing the lawyer learned was that he was a despicable person (and the thought brought him to tears as well the relief that he wouldn't be bankrupt) but I don't think his greedy nature changed.

And here's another thing to think about - Early in the story the banker says: the death penalty is more moral and more humane than imprisonment for life. Capital punishment kills a man at once, but lifelong imprisonment kills him slowly. Which executioner is the more humane, he who kills you in a few minutes or he who drags the life out of you in the course of many years?"

The banker is the jailer and almost becomes the executioner. He goes from near monetary bankruptcy to near total moral bankruptcy.

Hmmm, contrarywise - isn't this a case where the banker's views were confirmed in the end. The lawyer withered away physically and emotionally as a result of his imprisonment. The lawyer rejects both the comfort that the 2 Million could buy, but also rejects other more esoteric values. If not in an absolute sense, wouldn't the lawyer of 25 look at the lawyer of 40 and say he has died by degree?

Hmmm, contrarywise - isn't this a case where the banker's views were confirmed in the end. The lawyer withered away physically and emotionally as a result of his imprisonment. The lawyer rejects both the comfort that the 2 Million could buy, but also rejects other more esoteric values. If not in an absolute sense, wouldn't the lawyer of 25 look at the lawyer of 40 and say he has died by degree?

Good points made but I think the banker only thought of his greed and bankrupcy.

The lawyer on the other hand, I found confusing with, first his excitement ,and made the bet 15 years,and then right at the end,ran away.He could have assumed that the banker would try to kill him but then again like jaybe mentioned,he chose to run away and live poor and not wait and defend himself or his life if an attempt was made.

Very peculiar story.

Back