• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any Collectors out there?

Henry

I've managed to get hold of a recently published book called "The Highfield Mole",and have to say I found it absolutely gripping. It is, ostensibly, a book for kids but shouldn’t be overlooked because of this. The story is around a young teenager who blunders into a strange underground colony - a sort of Georgian time capsule - but with some vicious guardians called the "Styx".
The copy I have, the paperback edition, is beautifully designed, with eight fantastic colour plates in the middle. I think this book could be a great investment for collectors if it gets picked up by a mainline publisher, as it deserves to be. If you look on the publisher's website (www.mathewandson.com), it appears to have been self-published and is only available in very limited numbers. Has anyone else read it?

The Highfield Mole

Hi there Ainulindale.

Yes, that's the one. I'm must admit I'm not usually impressed by many of these so called young teenager books, but this one is different, much in the same way that Mark Haddon's "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" or moments in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy set them apart.

The Highfield Mole has layers within it that you can pick out on a re-reading, something I very rarely do. I even detected vague influences from the likes of TS Eliot in the text, which was quite fun.

The only real dissapointment, as the customer review on Amazon said, was when I got to the end - the story isn't resolved, but is about to go into a new and interesting phase (one suspects from the last two chapters), and I just wanted to know what happened next. I do hope the authors get on with the next instalment.

Can't you see self-promotional advertising when it's right in front of your face? Geez.

Let's read critically out there!

If you are referring to me, I am very critical, far too critical.

Perhaps it comes as a result of reading far too many over promoted, unworthy and unremarkable books, particularly where they are nominally "by a celebrity" (which means their co-author did all the work).

The Highfield Mole

Hate to say told you so (actually I don't, it's what I live for), but has anyone out there done a search for this book lately on Amazon, ABEbooks, eBay, etc?

Glad I got my copies for $20 before the prices went loopy. This book is one to watch.

Told you so...

I think you are confused as to what makes a good "investment" for a collector. :)
Random books by obscure authors aren't it. While they may be good to add to a collection...a book collector who wants an "investment" won't really benefit from it.

Back