• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any Memoirs that focus on depression era appalachia?

eboggs

Hello everyone,

New here and am looking for books (Memoirs) Non Fiction, based in the Appalachia's (Virginia, West Virginia) during or around the Depression period.

After seeing some of the new movie "Lawless" and despite some of its obvious "Movie" flaws, I have become very interested in the time period and area, also considering my family from both sides is from West Virginia and our past visits which I have always enjoyed, it is still very hard for me to understand and visualize not just how they lived but how they perceived things from an individual who lived in say New York.

I have ordered the Novel which the movie is based on, but again it is still a novel and not a memoir which is what I would like to find.

Anyway, I appreciate the help in advance,

E.

The Foxfire books are good resources, although they are not specially about depression-era Appalachia. They are chock-full of stories, recipes, and how- tos on all aspects of Appalachian life in the old days. The folks featured in the books were depression survivors so if you want to know how they got by,you can't go wrong with these books.

Just googled depression era books, and found the great depression of america 1929-1941 by robert s. Mcelvaine listed as a good history book. The small intro provided on the site looks good. Though, i am not an avid non fiction reader, but you can surely give it a try

Back